Nutz, Panasonic is discontinuing my usual power supply caps...viable alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no idea why you want to compare dialectics to copper wire. It's hard to count the endless amounts of first hand accounts with capacitors, shoot-outs, companies that use them, manufactures that make and have made them, different technologies in them, etc etc etc.

Your argument would suffice better as, if it didn't sound good at all until you put in higher grade capacitors, perhaps there's something wrong.

Capacitor denial to me is as anti-vaccination is to a Doctor in Epidemiology.

I've never posted videos on youtube...

I don't think your preference has anything to do with capacitors. Personally I've found no capacitor swapping makes me enjoy them for home listening. But it's as easy to hear the difference as it is to hear the difference in swapping drivers in your speakers. There's no mistake. Go ask the TPA3116 thread if you don't believe me.

Class D and chip amps on this forum are extremely popular. And everyone makes capacitor choices, it's probably the number one activity that people that use both do, aside from the assembly.

Crown uses DriveCore in many class D that are popular, and furthermore they use PFC via regeneration to provide power. Not only that, but they have a ADC to DAC conversion as well. Essentially they negate a considerable amount of sonic qualities one could associate by having considerable noise filtration and rejection. But not only that, the PFC qualities work in the favor as well by making the capacitors job easier. Sadly their filtration network at the beginning along with cheapo rectifier isn't perfect but responds well to some dampening and lower RF diode bridge. I've done this to a half dozen units. All of which have a nice improvement. But they aren't my taste.

I've never posted videos on youtube...

My bad...I got you mixed up with Carlos(Destroyer X). I apologize for the mix-up.

I realize chip amps and Class D amps are quite popular, but neither are my cup of tea. All of my amps are older Class AB commercial products with BJT outputs.

Capacitors are a controversial subject in audio. The only "rule" that I try to follow myself is to use MKP coupling caps(space permitting) or MKS if it's tight quarters.
I've read where some people think that certain BP electrolytics(like the green Muse caps) sound as good as MKP or MKS caps, but I've never compared the two side-by-side.

I personally have never compared different power supply caps. I typically buy a name brand cap and just go with it.

The Muse are ok; I've tried using the parallel with poles opposite (bi-polar, but still have poles) to get improved balance and it's ok. But they very evidently aren't as good as old BlackGate N's. I've been reusing some BGN's for awhile now. Wish I knew where some of them went... I'd say they outperform nearly all cheap film caps. I'm surprised you like MKS for signal. My fav atm is PHE426. But I've read mixed things on it, so maybe my application is good and others less so.

And back to this topic. Again, the Nichicon's won't shine as much in a mediocre environment. HiPerf HEXFRED and MSR860 bridges, with a copper pour (plane), and AC filtration will allow them to perform at a level other caps will disappoint. But if you don't have any of that you aren't going to really be able to register their neutrality as easily. Otherwise 3/4 pole are certainly going to have much better properties but they're ungodly expensive (and you thought Nichi's were a shiny dime).

It was sort of a veil moment when I found out how much better the Nichicon's were than say panasonic FC's, which I've liked for a long time.

Search around, someone probably has stock of panasonics for awhile.

BTW I've only personally come around to chip amps being special with the advent of my own. I knew I liked it, and others, but wasn't really sure where it landed. However it was used in a review recently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.