ns-10 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:

In 50 years from now you'll be calling the master and NP will appear.
And sink his teeth in your neck and suck you dry. :clown:

Choky, just checking.
You don't look like Boris Karlov, do you ?

The reason for asking is that there has never been much information available on the NS10.
Few own one, others know of it only from pictures.

hehe-I presume that in 50 yrs both Master and I will be pretty dry:clown:

I look almost good as B.Karlof

and I know about NS10 almost as he know....;)

more on ns-10

Some updates:
the caps were replaced with BG also replaced the diode bridge with HEXFRED, and changed the noisy potentiometer to ALPS. That was done by someone else. I also replaced the RCA females.
The difference in sound is amazing- it is like a new preamp, but much much better than most others I've ever heard.
My question: is there any merit in replacing the transformer to a torroidal? The one I have there is a hammond 115 V (primary) 28V 0.25A (Secondary). Does anybody know where I can that specific model?
Thanks!

nvinyl66 said:
OK...I went back to these threads and found what I was looking for.
Thanks for redirecting me to it, and sorry for the (un-necessary) hassle.
I've had the ns-10 for 4 days now- it is incredibly detailed, but I'm sure it will improve once I'll send for a caps upgrade.
If you're interested, I'll let you know how it went.
If not, thanks again for your help.

Dear Sir,
do you have the Service Manual ?
Anyway please go on with your very interesting thread.
Thank you so much.

Kind regards,

beppe

jacco vermeulen said:

With the extreme bandwidth figure of the NS10 incredible detailing is what is to be expected.
Personally speaking, the ticket for great sound still is high bandwidth, single ended, class A, and as little as possible feedback. But that's just me.

Very interesting Mr. Vermeulen.
So the detail is related with high bandwidth.
I would have thought an extremely low noise more fundamental.
But I really did not know.

Thank you so much.
Kind regards,

beppe

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: more on ns-10

nvinyl66 said:

My question: is there any merit in replacing the transformer to a torroidal? The one I have there is a hammond 115 V (primary) 28V 0.25A (Secondary). Does anybody know where I can that specific model?
Thanks!

tnx for additional info regarding origigi xformer ;)

I don't think that you'll have any merit ,especially with toroidal replacement; toroidal just pass through more garbage from mains....
anyway-to correct my first sentence-you'll only gain if you use same ,but bigger xformer.....but-how much,only your ears can tell.

I think that Naim purist will agree with that-bigger-better

:clown:

just physically bigger- more VA
I dont even think that would bring some better sound(to keep it in the; sorry! Choky language :D ) I am sure NP took care of that part allright;) What I could think of, is replacing the Electrolytics:) With good quality ones, that is! I think your baby would sing allright with that simple modification:)

Steen:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
for jacco
Karloff face
:devilr:

Attachments

• chokyy.jpg
    chokyy.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 257
Re: more on ns-10

nvinyl66 said:
Thanks!

Hmm - just one Q - in "ns10 clone" topic it was said, that original NS10 has 0-50V PSU - how can this be possible by 0-28V trannie? ;)

Btw - I like the idea of 7VA trannie beeing more than enough - since I have some splendid double C core trannies (estimated at cca 20-25VA) with 13V-0-13V --> 0-26V secondaries :)))

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Re: more on ns-10

Stabist said:

Hmm - just one Q - in "ns10 clone" topic it was said, that original NS10 has 0-50V PSU - how can this be possible by 0-28V trannie? ;)

Btw - I like the idea of 7VA trannie beeing more than enough - since I have some splendid double C core trannies (estimated at cca 20-25VA) with 13V-0-13V --> 0-26V secondaries :)))

**hmm: I don't think that anybody say that 50V is exact voltage in NS10;
that is good approximation and 50V is more than enough ,if you can have that voltage
in case that 50V is really in NS10,PSU must be arranged as voltage doubler...
NS10 will work with anything from +/- 12 to +/-30V-for simetricall version and from 20 to 50V-for single supply version

probably better with higher rails,but-who really cares?
for me -that preamp is primary-fun;
serious one,but still -fun

**btw: 25VA will be better than 7VA
but-always remember what our mates from other side of plash use to say-"when you are in a mountain,nothing can substitute cubic inches
hehe,just look at moto GP- difference between 500 and 990 ccm...

Re: Re: Re: more on ns-10

choky said:

NS10 will work with anything from +/- 12 to +/-30V-for simetricall version and from 20 to 50V-for single supply version

probably better with higher rails,but-who really cares?
for me -that preamp is primary-fun;
serious one,but still -fun

**btw: 25VA will be better than 7VA

This NS10 is getting more and more interesting to me :) (btw - still hadn't found time to soldier the p2p version together :bawling:)
Btw - what to do if not using a trimmer (afterall there is a capacitor at the output) - just put in some resistor with aprox 100-200k value or avpid it completely?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.