Now what are these Acoustat MK-121-2A's doing in my garage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Acoustat Magnekinetic Interfaces MK-121-2A.

Are they a worthwhile place to start on the path to listening bliss? Do they hold any quirks I should be aware of? Any idea on the optimum capacitance they should be driving? I have tried searching for information on using them on home made ELS's. I would like to build a pair that operate from 200-250Hz and up.

Oh yea! Those are some awesome interfaces.
What I would give to get my hands on a pair of those!
The transformers in those things are huge!
They are very capable enough to drive just about any type array you choose to build.
And you just happend to find them just laying around some where in your garage?
Well you have come to the right place my friend and dive right in.
Do some reading on our past and recent posts and feel free to ask any questions.
Give us an idea of what you are after and we will do the best we can to help you make the right choices to build a killer system. jer

So far I have found the schematic and a paper on the Acustat. A couple of links that I found so far.

http://www.izzy-wizzy.com/audio/acoustat.pdf
Izzy Wizzy Audio

I bough these two for $20 or $30 at an electronics retailer's garage sale maybe 15 years ago. Thought I might get around to making a pair of electrostats someday. This place is a bit of a prod to do it.

It is more of a winter project so I am just collecting ideas and knowlage right now. I did build a small speaker doing the saran wrap, cotton ball, graphite thing twenty five years ago using a tube transformer. Worked well enough for me to decide one day I would make a set.

It would be more practical now that I am older and find I do not play music all that loud anymore. Probably use a nice pair of 8" that I have for the low end. I would like to curve the ESL's to spread out the highs and possibly throw them in a cabinet throwing away the back radiation. Might just throw something together just to see if it is practical.

And the obligatory pictures.

AcoustatMK-121-2A.jpg

AcoustatMK-121-2Atrans.jpg

i am up for donations here???? just kidding, those are more than twicw the size of mine. even tests, at 35 watt. you have to sream if you are anywhere near the sweet spot. Check out my post, "differnet ideas for esls" its a start to finish project. Mr, Jer, and Charlie were my driving force into something you have not ever heard before, it is a long post, but i posted as many pics as i could.
You have in your possesion, something everyone would love to have their hands on,
there is a little time invested in this, however, the rewards are unforgettable.

Can you kindly post some more pics of everything of the stat? I am curious if what you have is a, well, different setup that i had in mind as a second project.
graet find, you are allready 1/2 way there, jion the club, very addicting, but you will learn something you never knew before. nice to learn new things, ones can enjoy everyday. pics pics please!!!!

Mad scien tist

You crazy joker, i have a pay pal account, cannot remember my password. NOTICE , there is no reserve on those, try a buy it now, but before you jump the gun, might just be paying for plastic squares, no diaghphram, maybe holes and be rebuilt. Thats what i can see from the photo(s) . the seller might not know what he/she has. but I would hate to spend money on very old plastic, brittle.
> no trannies, just wires, i would ask the seller some questions. I know what you are thinking and its a not a bad deal(Ger), no reserve, do buy it now, for 10 usd and pay for shipping,
dont know, late and sleepy. you seem to find the best things and I am confident that is what you have been talking with about on a different scale.
>no reserve> get it >cheap> Mav
do what you said you said, you have some nice ideas, there is your starter.
I never look back, only forward, they would be on my doorstep yesterday,, but, thats me. you could make 10 pair out of that, do the math.

mmm ,uhh, well, ummmm, bed time. later:rolleyes:

They're real easy to build,I just happened to look and thought it would be a good place to start for printer2 in case he didn't feel like doing a ground up build ,or, it could be a good model to copy for a ground up build.
You know me mavric,I have my own design that is a very improved version using the same materials. jer

Yes Ger, i am aware of that. I do not let an oportunity leave my sight, on the other hand. I will be more than willing to help this person on his/her project with everything i have learned.
Lets just put it this way, its 2:00 AM, i am enjoying my stats very well, driving my dog nuts, cannot find the source of the sound.
the "flute" is a good choice , as wel as the piano,
Im gonna be late to work, this is ssoooooooooooo perfect, MAv:p

Yes I think that would be a great idea.
I never did get my paypal account set up otherwise would have jumped on it myself.
It never fails,I always find the good deals when I don't have an account to work with any more!

mav, try some rain or thunder sounds or even better car horns beeping or some one knocking on the door type sounds.
Do you have any cheech and chong with "hey (bang bang bang ) its me dave open up "?
jer

Seems there are a couple guys interested in the EBay panels already. I will keep my eye on them but more than likely I will build my own anyway. If we were the type of people who just go out and buy what is commercially available we would not be here would we? :rolleyes:

Building the stats are probably the least amount of effort, still need to build the electronic crossover, thinking about a couple of amps, of course the woofers would need new boxes, then maybe a smaller set to fill in as rear channel speakers for watching movies, by that time I would probably want more bass power, then there always is...

Yeah it has been too long since I tinkered just for fun. Spent the last five years working on a money pit of a house, still a bit to do but enough of a light at the end of the tunnel to start thinking of fun things.

Will have plenty of pictures. I am reasonably handy and should have no problem will any of this. More a question of gathering information and materials and deciding which way to go. It should be fun.

Very well said indeed,I am in the same boat your on I built mine in 2003 had haven't been able to mess with with them since (for varous reasons), until now.
Amps are next so stay tuned.
I'm trying to perfect my variable bias supply at the moment.
It works good now ,but every time I try to improve on some thing ,some thing else goes bad,but thats R&D ya know. jer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.