Now This Is Different

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The brain makes its own soundtrack - in fact, each one of us has our own. Who knew?

From the article:

ScienceDaily (Apr. 28, 2009) — Every brain has a soundtrack. Its tempo and tone will vary, depending on mood, frame of mind, and other features of the brain itself. When that soundtrack is recorded and played back -- to an emergency responder, or a firefighter -- it may sharpen their reflexes during a crisis, and calm their nerves afterward.

Over the past decade, the influence of music on cognitive development, learning, and emotional well-being has emerged as a hot field of scientific study. To explore music's potential relevance to emergency response, the Dept of Homeland Security's Science & Technology Directorate (S&T) has begun a study into a form of neurotraining called "Brain Music" that uses music created in advance from listeners' own brain waves to help them deal with common ailments like insomnia, fatigue, and headaches stemming from stressful environments. The concept of Brain Music is to use the frequency, amplitude, and duration of musical sounds to move the brain from an anxious state to a more relaxed state.

"Strain comes with an emergency response job, so we are interested in finding ways to help these workers remain at the top of their game when working and get quality rest when they go off a shift," said S&T Program Manager Robert Burns. "Our goal is to find new ways to help first responders perform at the highest level possible, without increasing tasks, training, or stress levels."

If the brain "composes" the music, the first job of scientists is to take down the notes, and that is exactly what Human Bionics LLC of Purcellville, VA does. Each recording is converted into two unique musical compositions designed to trigger the body's natural responses, for example, by improving productivity while at work, or helping adjust to constantly changing work hours.

The compositions are clinically shown to promote one of two mental states in each individual: relaxation – for reduced stress and improved sleep; and alertness – for improved concentration and decision-making. Each 2-6 minute track is a composition performed on a single instrument, usually a piano. The relaxation track may sound like a "melodic, subdued Chopin sonata," while the alertness track may have "more of a Mozart sound," says Burns. (It seems there's a classical genius—or maybe two genii—in all of us.)

Here's what it sounds like.

Yes, the link goes to the Department of Homeland Security. Our tax dollars at play - or is it playing music with brainwaves?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Well, thats one way fore a scientist to get payed, or get attention

But sure, when I enjoy music most, its like every tune is passing through all parts of my body, but when Im stressed or sick in any way it simply doesnt happen, and music only sound flat and boring

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
BHTX said:
How can i get rid of this horrible damn tinnitus that's been torturing me since I was a kid? :(

I really wish someone would figure it out.

Well, I know how awfull it can be

The other day I had a few hours where my moderate tinnitus got worse
I found that the noise from freezer and refrigiator just sounded like a ringing in my head
I knew it was noise from the cooling system, but it was just like it was just noise inside my head

I realised that it was in some way problem with locating the actual noise

If you have had the problem since chilhood I wonder whether it could be related to a stress related low hearing tresshold
Not sure I have placed the right words
But I have heard of people working with such children
The cure was strangely enough listening to rather loud music, under control
I know tinnitus is different, and loud is not good, but I still wonder if it could be related

One important thing I have experienced is that listening to good music helps a lot
But its exstremely important that the sound is perfectly smooth, which isnt easy to achieve
But I have found that any kind of problems with amps and speakers instantly triggers my tinnitus
So, a very good reason to "invest" in nice sound

But a warning would be to stay away from too many experiments with speakers that doesnt work properly

Fullrange drivers with tubeamps might be ok, but might not be smooth enough, could work but not so easily as it seems
But maybe Pass FirstWatt amps driving a Manger
Or maybe Magnepans

Smooth natural sound is exstremely important
Artefacts and noise are killers

Just my "expert" 2cent :clown:

Fast1one said:
I have the same thing since I was a child. I have grown to live with it though. Sometimes it seems like its getting worse. Other times I can barely hear it at all :)

Mine is always unbearable. It used to be just like yours though when I was younger. At some point during the last several years though, it just got progressively worse. A lot of people can pinpoint the exact date and time, but I can't. Anyway, I don't know how much longer I can take it. I'm only 25. If this is what I have to deal with for the rest of my life, I'm not so sure I want it.

EDIT: Sorry, wasn't planning on taking the thread OT.

Only slightly OT, they’re both ‘tunes’ in the brain, just different causes. I suppose everyone must have a background level of both tinnitus & ‘Brain Music’, it probably just varies from individual to individual… Perhaps an ‘antitune’ could be made to mask tinnitus?
From http://tinnituscause.com/ : “Damaged hair cells will move randomly and … the cells send random electrical impulses to the brain which it interprets as noise, which then causes tinnitus.”
(Mine doesn’t sound random though, rather high pitched, and although it’s there most of the time I only notice it when things are quiet. I put it down to excessive Rock in my mis-spent youth)

Ingestion of C2H5OH will probably disrupt the electrical impulses, but isn’t a long term solution, particularly if you have to drive…

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
My tinnitus has been with me from early childhood, but listening to loud music and increasing old age have made it worse when it's bad, sometimes tho it goes away, sometimes it is all I can hear unless the other noise is LOUD.

So many of us hear seem to suffer from this malady, I wonder why????

In regard to the first post I know my brain keeps changing rhytm, I'll never make a bass player or drummer, I play what I hear inside my head, really weird

Regards
Ted

Wish I had more time to disucss, but I have to take my dog to the vet for a byopsy :(

The latest info and research I have seen points to the root of tinnitus being in the brain and not the hearing system.

Most researchers agree now that it is a problem with the receptors and not with the cochlea (in most cases).

There is also exicting potential for neural-plasticity to give relief.
You need to train your brain to use other pathways, and to stop using the damaged ones.

Rule #1 with Tinnitus: DO NOT LOOK FOR A CURE.
You will only be disappointed there is none.
You have to learn to ignore it.

This is from the Audiology side of things.

Your are not alone.

JR

I'm also in the camp of tinnitis and hyperacusis sufferers. The knack is in learning not to hear the tinnitis or to hear it but not stress/worry about it. If you focus on the sounds and stress/worry about them, you are re-reinforcing the reaction of your neural net to tune in to a perceived threat.

There is good information athttp://www.tinnitus-pjj.com/ about the inner working of tinnitus and hyperacusis.

An anecdote perhaps relating more to the OP.

A while ago on one of the National Public Radio news programs, one of their commentators told of his 'mid-life crisis.' Seems he has always had music running through his head--all different sorts, and always identifiable. Now he has music going through his head that he can't identify. It dawns on him that this is HIS MUSIC, and he needs to get it out and write it down.

So he tells his wife he wants to talk about his mid-life crisis. She fears he is going to say he wants a divorce! When he says, "I really NEED to buy a piano," she about collapses with relief.

Just to be sure about it, he goes down to the local BMW dealer and takes a test drive to see if he would rather buy a sporty car. After the test drive the salesman asked, "So what do you think?" He said, "I really need to buy a PIANO." I suspect that was not the response the salesman hoped for, and one he probably had never heard.

Cheers, Jim

Moondog55 said:
My tinnitus has been with me from early childhood...........

So many of us hear seem to suffer from this malady, I wonder why????

Me too.........

Dunno, mine is attributed to the chronic sinus/ear/throat/lung infections I had and the draconian measures used to deal with them back in the late '40s - early '50s, not to mention being repeatedly overdosed with penicillin to the point of lethal toxicity.

GM

To the original post, Lynn, would that be referred to as "the soundtrack of your life"? ;)

BHTX said:
Mine is always unbearable. It used to be just like yours though when I was younger. At some point during the last several years though, it just got progressively worse. A lot of people can pinpoint the exact date and time, but I can't. Anyway, I don't know how much longer I can take it. I'm only 25. If this is what I have to deal with for the rest of my life, I'm not so sure I want it.

Yes, this has become a lot off topic, but it is an interesting topic. I think a lot less rare than many people think.

I am also 25, suffer from tinnitus from time to time, and so does my dad. My dad is now mostly deaf to high frequency sounds, but somehow can still hear the tinnitus ringing...

There is some interesting information on tinnitus and hyperacusis here. Whoops, looks like this was already linked to by Andre Visser a few posts back...

In my own experience, I have found that the best "cure" for tinnitus is to practise focusing on sounds that do not excite it. I find that the ringing comes and goes as the brain focuses on different sounds. When focusing on very high frequency sounds, it is easy to excite the tinnitus and annoy yourself in a sense. Focusing on something else helps remove it. It is important to always have a little bit of background noise so the brain has something to focus on, or it will keep searching until it finds the ringing in your head. ;)

Jim Shearer said:
An anecdote perhaps relating more to the OP.

A while ago on one of the National Public Radio news programs, one of their commentators told of his 'mid-life crisis.' Seems he has always had music running through his head--all different sorts, and always identifiable. Now he has music going through his head that he can't identify. It dawns on him that this is HIS MUSIC, and he needs to get it out and write it down.

If you let the music play in your head continuously, you can effectively ignore the tinnitus. I can't figure which came first. So far, no need to buy a piano, but it's forced me to build sound systems on a bit bigger scale than most hobbyists.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
To get back to the topic that Lynn posted about, maybe I should buy that set of bongos i've been looking at and RECORD the sounds my brain is hearing; I can't call it a beat or rhytm as it is discordant and keeps changing, but perhaps by recording it and listening to it I can then train myself to ignore it.

Lynn thanx for some interesting posts this one in particular

Regards
Ted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.