Now this I find amusing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bob,

Quite a high percentage of members here say that caps definitely burn in and settle (sound wise) for the better, especially when in the signal path. Too high to ignore. Some with up to 35 professional years of testing and audio design, endore this as well. So I am leaving this open in my mind!

Thank you about the tube explanation (the subject of which I have done the least reading). Obviously the explanation here is less mysterious than some of the other contentious subjects and your explanation is very easy to follow.

Jonathan,
Thanks for helping to encourage me to keep an open mind. It would be interesting to know the details.

I still want a decent explanation why a percentage of people hear a difference based on quality, insulation, purity, and/or material, other than a placebo effect, etc. That explanation is about as scientific as someone saying believe me I can hear something.

I am serious about this being tested at Sy's next amp festival with adamant people representing both sides. Nobody leaves until one side agrees with the other or a third catagory is determined. This has been going on for too long!

One hundred years ago, there was no such thing as a Geiger counter. Did that mean there was no thing as radioactivity until the day the GC was invented? Perfect timing!

Regards//Keith

KP11520 said:
I do have to admit the creativity around here when it comes to jokes, far surpasses the creativity when presenting facts!

The problem is there are no 'facts'. No one has rigorously studied any of these questions. And just to note, it takes a large body of evidance (ie, multiple tests) for something to be agreed upon as 'proven'.

I would love to help set up some of this sort of testing, were it possible. I too am tired of claiming unsupported 'facts'.

Quite a high percentage of members here say that caps definitely burn in and settle (sound wise) for the better, especially when in the signal path. Too high to ignore.

At a religious forum, you might find a high number of people who say that biological evolution doesn't happen. Yet they can safely be ignored.

Have you read Mackay's "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds"? It's a classic. I think it might be already in the Gutenberg archive.

The problem of course is that in order to properly ABX the different cables, you need some kind of relay switching system either for the cables themselves or for recording of systems with the cables. Neither approach can be said to be transparent considering the minute differences we're trying to hear.

When I finish getting all the distortion out of my loudspeakers and getting my listening room perfect, then I'll worry about cables.

KBK said:

Bob, are you talking about a modification of your quarter cruncher? That is a fun toy.

Nothing so high tech. I saw the term "age annealed copper wire" in an ad somewhere and figured "temporal domain annealing" sounded much more interesting! :D

Actually that quarter cruncher takes a copper hardwired system and in one very loud intense blast of plasma creates a wireless network! :wiz:

SY said:
If I could burn every high school textbook that shows little nucleus-electron solar systems, I would- that has caused more fundamental misunderstanding than just about anything else in popular science.

I used to feel strongly the same way. Then I went on line and discovered hordes of people who couldn't construct a Hilbert Space vector to save their life, yet were happily spewing quantum babble without end. Now I'm not sure which kind of ignorance is worse.

I really think that most of this has been covered... in 1967.

For a good read, I suggest Ragnar Holm's "Electric Contacts." It distinctly discusses metallic softening for thin conductors at even modest bias.

If I were a cable mfg, this is the book I'd be looking at, contact problems, inductance and the skin effect, actual versus expected contact area, and most importantly: experimental evidence.

aside:
I was at a speaker demo, and I heard this guy talk about how some velvet packed box near the connecter aligned the all the electrons in the same direction. As far as I know, that can only be accomplished with Cr02 , and at low temperatures.

ps: I couldn't vectorize a Hibbert space, but I did learn Einstein notation at one point... does that count?

GeeVee said:
QUOTE:

“We have specially purchased a Nordost VIDAR cable burn in machine to offer this service on its cables. We all know that it can take time before your new cable begins to perform at its best. Nordost have developed the VIDAR burn in machine, which helps new and old cables on their way to optimum performance. We can burn in RCA, XLR and BNC interconnects and digital links as well as spade and/or banana terminated speaker cables. We can also burn in DIN to RCA tone arm cables, which normally take a lot longer to get to their very best. We also can revitalise your favourite cable with a burn-in.”

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition no.231: There's a sucker born every minute; be sure you're the first to find each one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.