Now Playing + What are you listening to?

OzMikeH said:
Steely Dan, Aja, song: "Peg"
Saw a documentary on the album. Nothing like any of the other music I have but there's something about the rhythms in it. The harmonies are pretty cool too.
I keep getting Peg stuck in my head, I keep listening to it. I'm surprised how much I like it.

Steely Dan did some amazingly-great stuff. Lately, I've become stuck, again, on Kid Charlemagne (coool hot bass), which I never really liked when I was "young", and My Old School (spankin'-tight precision guitar, and a bit of a nostalgic "Big Band" sound, at times). And, of course, Reelin' in the Years was/is a favorite back from my days with only an AM radio, in my first car, cruisin' the back roads. ;-)

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

Well since you brought up Steely Dan, Aja is beyond perfection. Larry Carlton is an absolute genious and when he works with these guys, you can FEEL the end result!

But if you want to hear a real masterpiece that I feel gets overlooked, check out 'Don't Take Me Alive," on "The Royal Scam." The song rocks with absolutely amazing guitar work on top of some real nice changes! The more you hear it the more it will move you!

These guys are the Musician's musicians. Sadly the CDs aren't remastered to the best quality of that of what the vinyl was(at least the ones I have).

Regards//Keith

KP11520 said:
Well since you brought up Steely Dan, Aja is beyond perfection. Larry Carlton is an absolute genious and when he works with these guys, you can FEEL the end result!

But if you want to hear a real masterpiece that I feel gets overlooked, check out 'Don't Take Me Alive," on "The Royal Scam." The song rocks with absolutely amazing guitar work on top of some real nice changes! The more you hear it the more it will move you!

These guys are the Musician's musicians. Sadly the CDs aren't remastered to the best quality of that of what the vinyl was(at least the ones I have).

Regards//Keith

Keith,

Thanks for that tidbit!

I'll probably try to find it on vinyl, after I download it. I've had amazing luck finding some pretty-obscure vinyl, at times. So this one should be pretty easy, relatively.

Yeah, I remember "Don't Take Me Alive", fairly vividly. But I haven't owned it. It's on the list, now, though.

I fell in love with Steely Dan way back (1970s), before I even knew how to really listen. But I never owned a whole lot of their stuff (school got in the way, back then, I guess, then work, then wife, etc etc, and suddenly decades [no pun intended] have gone by; Ak!). The more I hear, the more I like. I'm going to make a mission of collecting their stuff, now that I've been re-reminded of them, again. Thanks!!

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

Tom,

If you can find vinyl in good shape or Remastered CDs that are done well, You must absolutely have:

Countdown to Ecstasy
Can't Buy a Thrill
Pretzel Logic
Katy Lied
The Royal Scam
Aja
Gaucho

You wil never get tired of these and only more involved (especially if you have a nice system to listen on)! I would think so, after all you are here!

Regards//Keith

Steely Dan performing tonight not 10km from where I sit.
$250 for a ticket! Obscene.
I wish I'd never seen the sign and enquired. Would have loved to see them but would feel bad for spending so much. Now I feel bad because I'm too tight to spend the money and I've missed them.

Performing after Gangajang! look them up. About as appropriate as Kenny Wayne Shepherd opening for Eminem. nothing wrong with Gangajang, just a bad mix.
Whoever put that particular show together obviously has never listened to either band.

Sorry for polluting the thread with my rant. I'm just disgusted and disappointed.

OzMikeH said:
Steely Dan performing tonight not 10km from where I sit.
$250 for a ticket! Obscene.
I wish I'd never seen the sign and enquired. Would have loved to see them but would feel bad for spending so much. Now I feel bad because I'm too tight to spend the money and I've missed them.

Performing after Gangajang! look them up. About as appropriate as Kenny Wayne Shepherd opening for Eminem. nothing wrong with Gangajang, just a bad mix.
Whoever put that particular show together obviously has never listened to either band.

Sorry for polluting the thread with my rant. I'm just disgusted and disappointed.

I never thought that I would use such a trite saying, so earnestly, but, almost literally, "I feel your pain".

If it makes you feel any better, I can easily imagine having done exactly the same thing. And thinking about it again, I still think that that price is just too high for comfort, at least for me. (And imagine needing TWO tickets!)

Maybe you should try to think about all of the more-permanent enjoyable things that those dollars can now buy. That usually works for me.

(On the other hand, if it's not too late, maybe you should cruise over there and try to get lucky finding a deeply-discounted ticket from a scalper.)

- Tom

Just found these guys. Wicked good!

Imagine..if you will..Portishead and Bjork..have a kid..and call her 'Kate' (as in Bush). She grows up to do more drugs (that they bought from 'Dead Can Dance') than either. And she gows up in the far east, like Japan, for example.

Now, imagine the collaboration is between Her..and the Drummer, who does the production work. Good? You betcha!

http://www.elsiane.com/