Now Playing + What are you listening to?

Dorati's recordings in London for Mercury were mentioned some time ago - I have none of these - and I tried looking up some YouTube videos of such. Hmmm, not bad ... I spent some time scavenging the audio tracks to WAV format, and they come across nicely on the laptop - there's a video of a 1937 recording, on shellac, of this conductor, and this spruces up rather well - good listening ...

A complete change of pace, in every sense. I got this, Drift Away - Music For Relaxation 3CD Box Set CD Album, at a library clean out sale - and it's magic stuff for a couple of reasons. I've mentioned it before - on a crap system it sounds like nothing at all, pure background noodling. But it's fantastic system conditioning material, gets the driver suspensions in shape fast - and on a setup in top notch condition, at highly elevated SPLs it has tremendous majesty and depth, opening vast caverns of atmospheric sound, with tidbits of subtle things going on, challenging the listener to pick it up - hey, what was that curious thing I just heard ?!!