Novice question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Theory says don`t use shielded cables because they have more capacity. Some people say use twisted cables because they have more inductivity. My personal experience is that fullrangers are less cable-critical than multi-way speakers. I would spend my money on good material for the boxes.

Didn't know shielded cables had more capacitance. In fact it is quite normal. :)

I wonder what adds the more capacitance in a cable like this : the shield or the plastic sheath over the shield ?

I suppose the difference isn't so audible in internal wiring, as long as the involved lengths are quite short.

One thing I'm sure about is that standard "audio" OFC cable, the multistranded type with transparent insulation, is not as good as the phone cable, though it is more expensive.:angel:

all this talk about cables.....

one thing i always think about when this comes up,,,,can any/most/some of us even hear the difference between them?? well i guess from what ive read,,some of the folks can hear the difff, but im not sure i could. i mean,in a two way test,,i might be able to say one sounds different,,but could i say one sounds better?? i have no idea.

this is just somthing i think about.

oh one thing please. i have never soldered anything,nor read a shematic. im wondering if even i could build one of them tube type amps myself,,or even a crossover for a loudspeaker? in fact,one of the reasons i built a singledriver speaker,is for that reason alone. i must say,now that i have,,i love it and am very glad i did. i cant believe the sound,and its just the way everyone said it would be. clear,decent highs,,and could use a woofer/sub woofer. but it dosent NEED one to my thinking/ears.

i realy enjoy this board,though quite a bit goes over my head.

thanx guys

roy

On my very first speaker system (my father's 3-way speakers renewed with new tweeter & mid), I took the cable that went with them.

Well, at this time, I had absolutely no Hifi experience, I just wanted to have music in my ears like many teens.

One day, I bought some OFC cable, the cheapest that I found.

I soldered it, plugged it in the amp and speakers, and launched a CD.

:bigeyes: Immediately, I thought : "what's this problem with the highs ?! There are way too much !!" And I realized it was the cable that made the difference.

I assume the old cable was old and not hifi cable at all, but cabling does make a difference, particularly in the highs, where there is skin effect on the cable.

Then, I got new speakers and I built my parent's home theater, and I changed all the normal cables for phone cable.

It does make a little difference, and the benefits are good compared to the price.

internal speaker wire

Hi,
From what I've read you should use wire made for speakers,multi strand ofc .The thickness depends on
the length of the run from you speaker to the terminal
connector.This is usualy quite short so the gauge of the wire
doesn't have to be thick. 12 gauge (awg) is to hard to work with
if you solder, you find that your speaker connection will melt
before you can get the wire hot enough for proper flow.
16 gauge(awg) should work fine for all but the most exagerated
distances ie.more than 20 feet.
best of luck,this will not be your last project,
sconrad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.