• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

NOS/NIB tubes what does it mean?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello...I'm planning to buy a tube from ebay which is marked as NIB.Some other tubes are marked NOS.
What does it mean?NOS or NIB?
And is there a way to fake a tube?
The one I will buy is Siemens&Helske but it has the logo of telefunken so its kind a tricky to me. It has number 1 stamp on the bottom between the pin which is not a Telefunken for sure but is it Siemens?
Thanks a lot!

NOS means New Old Stock, it refers to tubes which are no longer in production, yet, supposedly, never been used.

NIB means New In a Box. Usually it refers to new tubes of current production, though sometimes people use it also for NOS tubes, in addition to the NOS designation.

As for possible fakes, I cannot answer that, since I don't know. That is, it's possible to fake markings on tubes, though I have no idea how much it's common.

As for different brand names on NOS tubes. Sometimes a known tube producer will put a different logo for big enough client. However, I never heard of Siemens tubes labeled as Telefunken and vice versa – those companies were competitors.

NOS means New Old Stock, it refers to tubes which are no longer in production, yet, supposedly, never been used.

NIB means New In a Box. Usually it refers to new tubes of current production, though sometimes people use it also for NOS tubes, in addition to the NOS designation.

As for possible fakes, I cannot answer that, since I don't know. That is, it's possible to fake markings on tubes, though I have no idea how much it's common.

As for different brand names on NOS tubes. Sometimes a known tube producer will put a different logo for big enough client. However, I never heard of Siemens tubes labeled as Telefunken and vice versa – those companies were competitors.

Cool thanks!:)
Anyway the one I will purchase is NIB Siemens&Helske...well do they still make tube if NIB refers to a new tube of current production?

Most of the "fakes" were labeled by the manufacturer whose name is on it. All the tube manufacturers relabeled tubes - nobody could keep EVERY number in production, so they would buy from competitors and relabel whatever quantity was needed between their own production runs. This became more common by the '70s as tube production dropped.

Most of the "fakes" were labeled by the manufacturer whose name is on it. All the tube manufacturers relabeled tubes - nobody could keep EVERY number in production, so they would buy from competitors and relabel whatever quantity was needed between their own production runs. This became more common by the '70s as tube production dropped.

Ok this is the link with pics of the tube...
TELEFUNKEN LABELED SIEMENS & HALSKE - ECC81 12AT7 - NIB - eBay NOS Tubes, Tubes, Vintage Electronics, Electronics. (end time 03-Jan-10 13:36:58 AEDST)
If its Siemens its probably ok.I presume they sound OK...
but if its chinese tube thats a problem :S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.