non-understanding oversampling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good article although a bit too like my communications lectures! - I still would like to believe that 16bits is not enough (although I havent done a listening test) without the use of excessive compression.
I am trying to design the output op-amp filter for my DAC atm - all the schematics of filters I have looked so far only use a first order butterworth sallen and key filter. I am not sure if the DAC chip has any analogue filtering as well as digital tho.
I think I will end up playing with spice for hours until I get a filter I like the look of.

davidsrsb said:

The linear interpolation has high distortion at higher frequencies. Think about what happens with a 20KHz signal sampled at 44.1KS/s, at times successive samples will be close to the zero crossings so the simple interpolation will fill in around zero.

This is simply wrong. Only a fool would under-bias a complementary output stage and then complain of cross-over distortion and so it goes with linear interpolation. If you have high distortion at higher frequencies it is because the right conditions have not been met.

Francis_Vaughan said:
. . . Just replace the first occurence of "interpolation" with "oversample" in each sentence and it won't read like quite so much gibberish. :h_ache:

Originally posted by Shane Sturrock, rec.audio, 26 Nov 91 09:12:22 GMT
And I say again that oversampling does not mean interpolation ... didn't we go through all this some months back? Regularly? Ad infinitum? [Taken directly from the original public posting]

(And consider: Sturrock had only been reading for a year or two!) ;)

Professor V! A pleasure to run into you again. It is now sixteen years I think since you emailed from Southern Australia a request to me in silicon valley for one or two article reprints on paper. I got your request in seconds. We exchanged cordial emails in a couple of minutes. The mail room with its prudent sense of economy then used surface post, requiring two or three months to reach you. (A time that could have been bettered 100 or even 200 years ago.) You see how many things don't change ...

Cheers -- Max

My goodness :bigeyes:

A welcome blast from the past. Waking me from my slumber.

For anyone puzzling over the exchange - as you might guess Max has been a worthy educator of myself and many others about the deeper points of the arts of digital audio.

It astounding how much of this stuff simply comes around and around and around.

Francis_Vaughan said:
Max has been a worthy educator of myself and many others ...

Professor V is much too modest. Read on please.

Francis_Vaughan said:
It astounding how much of this stuff simply comes around and around and around.

And around. I am thinking of illustrating that point with some historical material. I also hope to get past the temporary "probationary" status here on diya. (Do the moderators know I have posted constructive information on the Internet continuously for 25 years and created some of its original public fora? If character references are required, please tell me.)

Observations about diya: I've seen this site occasionally before but some specifics recommend it strongly.

Diverse participation; it's moderated;* its very first tip for newbies is the single most important one on online fora which is that Frequently Asked Questions occur and you should look for existing answers before asking again; finally, participation by experts of the caliber of F. Vaughan which constitutes a profound implicit recommendation of the site (do readers here realize this)?

More later. -- M

*Comment posted elsewhere some years ago: When you see what a zoo you get with unmoderated fora, you become tolerant of the human imperfections of moderators, and appreciative of their work. A little moderation goes a long way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.