NOLA speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Adason,

Glad this thread revived. A while back I was inquiring about midrange array, thinking exactly Nola, and I was sort of steered away by comments suggesting issues in sound as you move horizontally in front of the speakers. Meaning in the xo region in the tweeter to midrange xo from their mutual interference. How has been your experience with this?

My tweeter is also large: Beyma TPL-150H, and I was considering also 4x 4" drivers per side looking much like you did. I figured 4x4" have the same surface as a 8" midrange. xo active and digital at 2kHz, so can be steep.

cheers

four small midrange drivers may have cone area of one bigger driver, but that is irrelevant
large midrange must be crossed too low in order to avoid beaing
no way to cross it to ribbon so high
small midrangs behave much better with beaming, ideal midrange to me is ~5"

not sure i understand what horizontal issue are you talking about
when i design corossover, I thrive for flat on axis and uniform off axis response

please present your off axis responses to prove horizontal issue, then we can have a look at it...

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
just finished crossover for this one...

Attachments

• IMG_5939 (3).jpg
    IMG_5939 (3).jpg
    982.9 KB · Views: 429
four small midrange drivers may have cone area of one bigger driver, but that is irrelevant
large midrange must be crossed too low in order to avoid beaing
no way to cross it to ribbon so high
small midrangs behave much better with beaming, ideal midrange to me is ~5"

not sure i understand what horizontal issue are you talking about
when i design corossover, I thrive for flat on axis and uniform off axis response

please present your off axis responses to prove horizontal issue, then we can have a look at it...

I didn't get to build them. The horizontal issue was lobbing in the xo region, as I understood it.

I completely agree with your statement that 8" mid is large and beams. In fact that drove me to look into arrays of smaller drivers.

Glad to know you've perceived no downside to this setup.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Since weather is horrid, I had some time, I put together short tweeter array, four per side.
Found about dozen of Linaeum tweeters, so I made four as close as possible in array.
Just replaced one HiVi ribbon with this short array. They have the same resistance, no work on crossover.
I do adjust to flat response on axis precisely in my sitting position on couch.

Ok, now to the sound. Linaeum tweeters sound good. Almost as ribbon. I measured them before, they are flat and with low distortion. So when I listen in sweet spot, there is not much difference.

However, there is huge difference when I stand up and move around the room. Heights are gone. Four array tweeters are very directional vertically. You sit, all ok. You stand up, heights are diminishing. I do not like it.

Previously, with one tweeter per side I could walk around the room, sound was uniform, pleasant. Even in next room it sounded good.
Now with sharp vertical beam, there is less floor bounce, which is good, still relatively wide horizontal beam, so the sweet spot is not small, good, but that's about it. Anywhere else heights are gone. I do not like it.

Sorry for long post.

Since weather is horrid, I had some time, I put together short tweeter array, four per side.
Found about dozen of Linaeum tweeters, so I made four as close as possible in array.
Just replaced one HiVi ribbon with this short array. They have the same resistance, no work on crossover.
I do adjust to flat response on axis precisely in my sitting position on couch.

Ok, now to the sound. Linaeum tweeters sound good. Almost as ribbon. I measured them before, they are flat and with low distortion. So when I listen in sweet spot, there is not much difference.

However, there is huge difference when I stand up and move around the room. Heights are gone. Four array tweeters are very directional vertically. You sit, all ok. You stand up, heights are diminishing. I do not like it.

Previously, with one tweeter per side I could walk around the room, sound was uniform, pleasant. Even in next room it sounded good.
Now with sharp vertical beam, there is less floor bounce, which is good, still relatively wide horizontal beam, so the sweet spot is not small, good, but that's about it. Anywhere else heights are gone. I do not like it.

Sorry for long post.

That's Interesting iv had a similar experience in terms of the length of the ribbon. Initially I had a 15" ribbon which was the same length as the 4 x 4" peerless drivers. I recently replaced the 15" ribbon with a 6" ribbon which sits almost in line horizontal with top 2 4" drivers. I have found this combination incredible the ribbon width is 13mm wide. I really believe in an open baffle midrange and ribbon tweeter with a sealed 12" bass driver it's a special combination (DQ10). Iv been looking for the holy grail for me which was always a full range planar but I can honestly say Iv turned the corner and believe this combination is exceptionally hard to beat. I know guys swear by a full open baffle speaker but I believe if you get the right bass driver in a box crossed over to a dipole midrange and tweeter you in a great place.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's Interesting iv had a similar experience in terms of the length of the ribbon. Initially I had a 15" ribbon which was the same length as the 4 x 4" peerless drivers. I recently replaced the 15" ribbon with a 6" ribbon which sits almost in line horizontal with top 2 4" drivers. I have found this combination incredible the ribbon width is 13mm wide. I really believe in an open baffle midrange and ribbon tweeter with a sealed 12" bass driver it's a special combination (DQ10). Iv been looking for the holy grail for me which was always a full range planar but I can honestly say Iv turned the corner and believe this combination is exceptionally hard to beat. I know guys swear by a full open baffle speaker but I believe if you get the right bass driver in a box crossed over to a dipole midrange and tweeter you in a great place.
Yup, there is something about point source for highest octave. There is nice thread about emit drivers, he uses array of mid drivers, with just one tweeter...
There was many years ago ny diy audio show, where the main speaker was open baffle array of wide range drivers, curved, with one massive tweeter in the middle...
Or at frickel fest, they had big fullrange with short tweeter array in front of it...with the sign 'if you want heights, you need to sit down'!

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Adason, i get that on tweet dispersion.

I've been tempted for an array of cat378 horn domes, but........
Nothing against experimentation. I did the experiment, did not like the result, converted back :)

Now, is anybody interested in array of four linaeum tweeters? Well, should have made them slightly curved. There is high end speaker...will try to find the pic.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
to me this would be a nice compromise...you get mid array with low floor bounce due to the vertical focus, you get point source for heights...wait, for the high frequencies, much shorter distance classifies as array, relative to wavelength, so you get tweeter with low floor bounce too if its a long ribbon, just not too narrow
its important to have smooth directionality of axis, no sudden changes
i already posted this

Attachments

• CT6A6586.jpg
    CT6A6586.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 230
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.