nobbie Insignia project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BERENO said:
Dave,

Thanks! I am wondering though, the XO schematic on Dennis' site is slightly different than yours; his has no resistors following his inductors, where yours has these added into the schematic. Will that change the sound of the XO?

here are the links to both schematics:

yours
his woofer
his tweeter

It's nothing more than the way that SE presents the schematic. Those resistors are "tied" to the inductors and represent the resistance of the inductor. I'm not sure how it's handled in the CAD software that Dennis used.

If the resistance is not taken into account, there will be some variance in the final crossover transfer function. The impact may be small, it may be significant. It's more important to take it into account for traps in general.

Dave

BERENO said:
Ok, thanks for the update Im sure he took into account the resistance of the inductor... :)

Now that I'm home I can check the copy I have of his crossover. I bought a set of the boards he had made when the buyer decided not to use them. The crossovers that you linked are not up-to-date. The XO of his that I set up in SoundEasy is up-to-date with the resistances shown for the inductors.

Dave

ok, so does an inductor have an intrinsic resistance, or should a resistor be added? do you have a schematic with his updated XO? I was under the impression that his was up-to-date because they are up on his site, but I think I might email him and see if he mentions any updates as well.

BERENO said:
ok, so does an inductor have an intrinsic resistance, or should a resistor be added? do you have a schematic with his updated XO? I was under the impression that his was up-to-date because they are up on his site, but I think I might email him and see if he mentions any updates as well.

The only update is the addition of the inductor resistances. All you have to do is compare the circuit I show against his component by component.

All inductors have an intrinsic resistance. It is dependent on the wire gage and conductor used (pretty much always copper) as well as if it's air core or some other core. Select the inductor that matches the resistance indicated. You can find a list by at the Solen web site.

Dave

dlr said:

The only update is the addition of the inductor resistances. All you have to do is compare the circuit I show against his component by component.

All inductors have an intrinsic resistance. It is dependent on the wire gage and conductor used (pretty much always copper) as well as if it's air core or some other core. Select the inductor that matches the resistance indicated. You can find a list by at the Solen web site.

Dave

I should make that more clear. Select the inductor gauge to get one with the resistance as close to the specified value as you can. It doesn't have to be precisely the same, but the inductance does need to be very close to that specified.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I was just going to ask about that because I could not find one that had the same resistance. I will always choose the one with the proper inductance.

I think I will make a BOM with part descriptions, and post it up on here later today after I get off work. If you would be willing to see what I can swap out for a cheaper part, that would be nice :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.