No NFB line amp (GainWire mk2)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Matthias,
Here is the gain plot without output buffer. First one is without C2 and second with C2.
BR damir

I have to wonder whether that peaking is not coming from the current mirrors. All current mirrors have some peaking around the 2-15 Mhz. The EF assisted mirror has much higher peaking than the standard one.

You could try placing small value cap from base to emitter of Q21 and Q22.

I have to wonder whether that peaking is not coming from the current mirrors. All current mirrors have some peaking around the 2-15 Mhz. The EF assisted mirror has much higher peaking than the standard one.

You could try placing small value cap from base to emitter of Q21 and Q22.

It helps, the peaking no more, but I don't like the brick wall like plot, and if I keep C2 connected it looks much smoother.
Damir

Attachments

• GainWire-mk2-e-elvee-dado-gainpeaking-noC2.jpg
    GainWire-mk2-e-elvee-dado-gainpeaking-noC2.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 1,064
  • GainWire-mk2-e-elvee-dado-gainpeaking-C2.jpg
    GainWire-mk2-e-elvee-dado-gainpeaking-C2.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 1,006
It helps, the peaking no more, but I don't like the brick wall like plot, and if I keep C2 connected it looks much smoother.
Damir

Any of those measures will suffice indeed.
I asked mainly because some have no knowledge about the peaking in current mirrors and this is a very good example of where these anomalies many times originate.

Simpler than diamond buffer ?? I think thats as simple as can be had for such performance.

Any of those measures will suffice indeed.
I asked mainly because some have no knowledge about the peaking in current mirrors and this is a very good example of where these anomalies many times originate.

Simpler than diamond buffer ?? I think thats as simple as can be had for such performance.

Could you take a look at first post in this thread and tell me what you think about that output buffer?
Damir

This is schematic I like the most, with simple output buffer.

THD1k at 2 V output is just 0.000066%
Output impedance is 23 ohm flat from DC up to 100 kHz
I kept output resistor, now lower at 22 ohm, to be less sensitive to the long cable capacitance
PSRR abouth 90 dB
Damir

Attachments

• GainWire-mk2-e-3-FFT.jpg
    GainWire-mk2-e-3-FFT.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 1,005
  • GainWire-mk2-e-3-outputimpedance.jpg
    GainWire-mk2-e-3-outputimpedance.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 942
  • GainWire-mk2-e-3-PSRR.jpg
    GainWire-mk2-e-3-PSRR.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 891
This is simulated THD20k with 300 ohm load(SENNHEISER phones) and THD20k with 32 ohm load(GRADO phones). I don't have time before autumn to make working prototype, that is pity as it should be excellent preamp and no need for exotic components just BC550/560 and BD139/140(or KSA1381/KSC3503 or BF470/471) transistors.

Attachments

• GainWire-mk2-32_300-FFT20k-300ohm.jpg
    GainWire-mk2-32_300-FFT20k-300ohm.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 921
  • GainWire-mk2-32_300-FFT20k-32ohm.jpg
    GainWire-mk2-32_300-FFT20k-32ohm.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 790
It would be more interesting (to this forum at least) to see power amp version :)

I am trying, I am trying. It's easy to make the gain part but output buffer is hard nut. If EF2 or triple is used with no feedback there to much distortion(to my taste). I tried diamond buffer with a triple EF ans still to much THD. I am thinking now to try a buffer with NF(only from output of the buffer to the buffer input). Any suggestion??

I am trying, I am trying. It's easy to make the gain part but output buffer is hard nut. If EF2 or triple is used with no feedback there to much distortion(to my taste). I tried diamond buffer with a triple EF ans still to much THD. I am thinking now to try a buffer with NF(only from output of the buffer to the buffer input). Any suggestion??

What about a Cordel feed forward error correction type..??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.