No lose reflector design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
gui_999 said:
A question.. if there's no air flow in the reflector, will it overheat? I mean, is it dangerous for the buld?

I don't think air flow heat issues will be your problem. I have a funny feeling that if you aren't carefull you will focus/re focus an awfull lot of the lamps rays back to their source ie: the arc tube. What this may result in? I have no idea..but I doubt it will be favourable. These lamps run hot by nature, I know people that run them in enclosures with allmost nothing for air flow and havent had issues yet (months of use)

zardoz

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
This isn't quite the pic I was hoping to find...I really need to get better organized :rolleyes: But it might give you some idea of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• bulbs.jpg
    bulbs.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 192
diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Yes and after you attach a spherical to the front of the eliptical I have a feeling that most light will be reflected back either towards the arc tube or back to some point between the arc tube and the lens on the open side of the sphere. Am I making any sense?

zardoz

Well.. I'll try my first version of the reflector ( less light reflected than the second ). If it explode I'll let you know :)

And those bulb are cheap so ;)

And I saw that some OHP use a spherical reflector to reflect light at the point of light, to be condensed with a lens.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
The way it was explained to me was that the spherical reflector needs to project the "image" of the lamp's arc tube to a point allmost imediately "adjacent" the arc tube itself. This is easiest to be seen by using "arc welders glass" to look through (something you need to use for any "look at the lamp" work).

zardoz

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
That's what I've done for the time being. I have a "few" stainless steel bowls that have been...uh.. "altered" that I have played with. I haven't given up the idea of using a 400 watt factory light yet..I have all the gear to experiment.
But for the moment I have more pressing things to do.

I've been down the road you are on and think it "will" work. I have a bowl/reflector that is eliptical and I have a smaller one that is spherical. The results I obtained from just messing around showed some promise...but the OHP came along and made life easier ;)

zardoz

zardoz said:
That's what I've done for the time being. I have a "few" stainless steel bowls that have been...uh.. "altered" that I have played with. I haven't given up the idea of using a 400 watt factory light yet..I have all the gear to experiment.
But for the moment I have more pressing things to do.

I've been down the road you are on and think it "will" work. I have a bowl/reflector that is eliptical and I have a smaller one that is spherical. The results I obtained from just messing around showed some promise...but the OHP came along and made life easier ;)

zardoz

I've bought some mixing bowls today, look alot like those ones. really alot! well.. its the same but mine are from Roscan
http://www.epinions.com/Rosle_3_pc_Stainless_Steel_Deep_Mixing_Bowl_Set__Mixing_Bowls_15671
just cost me 25$ CND

As soon I can find a 400w ballast in Quebec, I'll do some test

But I have some question now:
How should I place the lamp in the reflector?
Vertical, horizontal?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And what should I use as condenser lens (all the details, diameter, focal length, type )

Thx

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
As I understand it..I could be intrepting the diagram that I posted incorrectly.. but if your reflector is an "eliptical" you want to mount your lamp as you show in the left (gouche?) hand of your picture...if your reflector is "spherical" you would mount as per the right (droit?) hand of the image you posted. Hows my french?...unfortuneately thats about it for my vocabulary.

As for the condenser lens...you need to mount the lens at the focal point of your reflector. The spec for the condenser? I suppose you need to calculate the lens based on the reflector f/l...and from my limiting experimentation ...the shorter the focal length of the condenser the better.

Be advised..most of this is based on very "un-scientific" testing on my part.

zardoz

Well...I just picked up a plastic light globe. I was looking for something that would be truely spherical that I could cut. I am only interested in a 70 degree square arc from the globe. I do not need a 180 degrees as I am only concerned about reflecting into the fresnel lens. If I mount it right, I should get a sizeable increase in light going through the fresnel lens without widening the virtual light source.

I just bought a dremel tool. I will cut out the arc I want tonight, line it with foil, and perform a test. If it appears to work as I want, I will paint the inside of the arc with heat resistant silver paint.

Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.