No Cross Over!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chris ma said:
The name is called Reference 3A , Canada made and French design if I remember correctly.

These are an excellent speaker -- essentially a full-range with a helper tweeter. The extended range driver has no XO between it and the amp. The tweeter has a single cap -- one of the local guys upgraded the cap in his for (he claims) better performance.

This is the scheme i always try to use. Pick a full range or a midbass with a nice controlled rolloff, and then add a tweeter with just a cap to fill in what is missing on the top.

dave

Maybe the tweeter was Audax's Gold-dome special piezo tweeter,so that it didn't need a crossover.

If you prefer a simple hifi speaker,i think a bass/midrange driver with a freq range of 40hz-8khz is good with a piezo tweeter from 1.8khz-30khz.Also a hifi speakers that sometimes use piezo tweeters,never use a resistor is series,but the pa/disco ones mostly do.

recipe anyone?

The driver unit in this Reference 3a does not seem to be from Audax. May be I could not find it.

I may be temped to cook a pair of this sort of speakers up to replace my Mirage M490is. The M490is sounds really good now, but the upgrade bug is biting me. In order to get anything better than the M490is may mean a big leap into the $3000cdn/pr range. M490is is a full range floor standing 3 way with 8ohm nominal, Freq Response around 45Hz-22Khz. Eff.dB 89 crossover at 1.8khz

But I need all the help since I have no knowledge of speakers and no means to do any measurements. What I hope for is something along the line of 8ohm nominal, but occasional dip to 4ohm is fine with my amps.
So anyone mind trying to give me some ideas, or recipe?
Chris

chris ma said:
But it was a 2 way, one tweeter and one woofer, two binding posts in the back of the speaker thou?

Arises a problem, yes? (Yoda is wearing off on me now!!) A tweeter not being burned out by being told to produce the full audio spectrum is uhh....well, uhhh, just don't try it especially if you just bought some scan-speaks. Woofer, yeah sure, Acoustic Research lets their woofers roll off naturally, sounds decent too!

So, woofer=possible, tweeter=99.9% chance of burnout.

Reference 3A

I had a pair of early Reference 3A speakers about 8 years ago. Modded them a little, too.

At that time, they were designed and build by Daniel Dehay in France. He later moved his operation to Switzerland.

The woofer appeared to be using a large Audax motor/magnet/basket assembly (w/vented pole piece) with his own doped carbon fiber hypex curved cone. The doping was thick, and looked like an epoxy decoupage. Surround was convex rubber. The woofer was directly coupled to the binding posts.

The tweeter was an Audax silk dome. There was a crossover for the tweeter only, and more than a simple capacitor. It involved a parallel resistor/cap combo in series with another cap. I don't recall the values at this late date, but seem to remember that the slope was more gradual than 6dB/octave in the crossover region.

These speakers are made to be used with the tweeters on the outside of a stereo setup, and the speakers tilted in slightly. If one were to draw an arc using one's ear as the apex, the scribed arc would touch the woofer's dustcap and tweeter simultaneously for best imaging. And boy, those speakers *imaged*!

I swapped out the sand cast resistor for a Caddock, and too the Solens, eventually settling on Black Gate BG-Ns. I also swaped out the (early) pedrestrian internal wiring with Transparent chassis wire and Cardas binding posts. I believe that the 3As are upgraded to Hovlands and Siltec these days. I also built a pair of 26 inch tall speakers stands for them that weighted over 200lbs each.

One funny note, I remember reading about how Daniel Dehay used a "special" mysterious wood product called Medite for the cabinet, with extraordinary sonic properties. I know it well, Its pressboard maufactured fairly close to me in Medford Oregon. :)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
3A

Hi,

As I said all along the spaeaker range is firmly based on the Audax range of units.

One funny note, I remember reading about how Daniel Dehay used a "special" mysterious wood product called Medite for the cabinet, with extraordinary sonic properties. I know it well, Its pressboard maufactured fairly close to me in Medford Oregon.

Yep.In "frog" speak it would equate to "Medite" and that is no more no less than MDF = medium density fiber board".

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.