NJL0281 and NJL0302

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andrew,

I'm afraid that is not possible to produce an exceptional sounding output stage in class B with a single pair of power transistors.
Put as many as possible in parallel, matched by Vbe and hfe, and biased at optimal class B current. It will give you a pure class A sound for normally listening levels and transients in class B without to much high harmonics.
If i had to use only one pair of output transistors, that amp will be only class A. For this situation, i'll match them for hfe only - as close as possible, 5-10%

Mihai

roender said:
.......... produce an exceptional sounding output stage in class B with a single pair of power transistors.
Put as many as possible in parallel, matched by Vbe and hfe, and biased at optimal class B current................ For this situation, i'll match them for hfe only - as close as possible, 5-10%
I assume that your are using D. Self's definition of ClassB here rather than the normal ClassAB where the quiescent Vre~=15mV to 25mV on the output stage emitter resistors.

Is there a way to correct this setting up voltage to take account of the internal emitter resistance that we builders have no access to, to take measurements?

I asked the product line manager from On Semi what was the difference between the "0" series parts and the original ones. Here's what he had to say:

"The only difference between the NJL0302/0281 parts and the NJL1302/3281
parts is the transistor die. The NJL0302/0281 parts use a smaller die.
This provides a lower cost alternative for customers who may not need
the higher power."

Hope this helps.

Thank you Charles.

Smaller die is no necessary a bad thing. This imply a smaller Cob, high ft, high linearity at lower currents and of course smaller SOA. It is a good think if you use many transistor in parallel in order to achieve as much as possible class A and also properly biased class B.

Mihai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.