Nixie and Magura do Heatsink Material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How did you apply it? Did you just spray it on? If so, then I'm thinking of something completely different.

I have here a graphite crucible and I find it's not a very good heat conductor. Makes for a good high temperature vessel though (I was surprised it doesn't oxidize that fast), and is about 10 times cheaper than the 10 times smaller magnesia crucible I have. Maybe heat conductivity is poorer because of impurities or something. I don't know if there's some binder added to the graphite.

Here you go:

Sorry, not the best pic, but that's the only closeup I have of it.

Magura :)

Attachments

• 24-02-07_0138.jpg
    24-02-07_0138.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 93
Ahh A Mechanical engineers business

To go back to the Beryllium for a moment

Beryllium aluminium alloy is a MAGNIFICENT material it is the Mechanical engineers dreamboat - it just happens to be "slightly" toxic.... :rolleyes:

Since they used to use it in F1 engines etc I imagine that it takes a bit of abuse and doesn't break if you hit it. :cannotbe: if there was a materials "top trumps" this would do it.

Way off topic for heatsinks But what was this record attempt car? any carbon-carbon braked vehicle is worthy of my attention! That'd be sum stoppin' and stoppin is ALWAYS more important than goin'

BTW, Nixie the nosecone of the shuttle is made of this C-C stuff freakily I saw a movie of some NASA chap heat a block of it up to red hot then promptly pick it up by the corners - its meant to be a LOUSY conductor of heat, but a fantastic adsorber...

Andy

Re: Ahh A Mechanical engineers business

andrew_whitham said:

Way off topic for heatsinks But what was this record attempt car? any carbon-carbon braked vehicle is worthy of my attention! That'd be sum stoppin' and stoppin is ALWAYS more important than goin'

Andy

It was for the worlds fastest sedan(338km/h) I don't know if it still holds the record. The car belongs to a friend of mine.

http://www.watt.dk/video/kleemann.wmv

Here you can see a bit of "action"

It's a Kleemann E55

At my gallery (link at my www button) you can see a couple of pics of those carbon brakes. The ones pictured are though of a different generation of that material than the one on the previous photo in this thread.

Magura :)

Re: Ahh A Mechanical engineers business

andrew_whitham said:

You know Jezza Clarkson would be at the wheel going "MORE POWER!" while The Hamster uses a 747 to blow away a Citroen 2CV and Captain Slow slags off Bill Bryson, the French, and Greenpeace, in more or less that order.

For the non-BBC2ers in the audience:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xgRPd81aXUc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=60Ha6bQBNww

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.