Nikko Alpha II amp troubleshooting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jacco,
As I recall, the 2SC2238B was rated at 1.5A and 180V, the other pair has higher ratings (2A and 230V?) and are fully encapsulated (no mica needed). I've just started to use them. I really liked the 2SC2238B and 2SA968B pair but I can't get new ones any more.
-Chris

The 968 and 2238 have a bandwidth of over 100 MHz, remarkable i think for a 25 watt device.
And with very low capacity !
Hfe for these is between 200 and 700.

An 2SA1667 only goes to 15-20 MHz, i think.
Capacity is twice of the one for the 968.
Hfe no higher than 200.

The 968 and 2238 were produced in 160/180/200 types.

Overhere we still have them, thank goodness.
And price is half of that for the 1667/4381.
(i bought a doodoo load for matching at CAD$ 0.60 when Elektor started using them in the high 80s)

Can you still have the 2SA1859A/2SC4883A overthere ?
Those are a decent substitute for the 968/2238, imo.
(180V, 2A, 120 MHz, Hfe~240, 20watts )

btw:
if anyone has a picture of the insides of the Nikko, i am game.
I wished i had known about it at the time.
For the ones who are not bored out of their skull from my ML talks: Levinson used the 2SD555 and 2SB600 in one of their amps.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SR71,
You have to watch the suffix on those parts. 2SC2238, 2238A, 2238B. The collector emitter breakdown goes up towards "B". Watch you are looking at collector emitter, not collector base voltages. 2CS2336, 2SA1006 are 180V 1.5A. The "B" versions get us up to 250V. They should still be available as well.
-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jacco,
Given the tolerance on that parameter, it won't be that important. High frequency cut off normally is not a big deal either with audio amps. Your HF pole will be well below the cutoff of your parts or you'll be in trouble.
-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tom,
Sorry, I meant measure the bias across an emitter resistor. Brain ahead of typing fingers:eek:
These would be the 0.47R resistors. Two in parallel give you about 0.24R. Make sure the collector of the NPN is positive, PNP is negative.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Reply to email for others to keep up on thread. Boom - oops!

Hi Tom,
These things confuse us all. We know better but do "it" anyway. Now we know why we knew better.
Power off. Discharge caps. Meter on diode test. Test all transistors for two diode drops E-B and C-B. Shorts normally rule out a transistor from being good. Take pictures of stuff before taking apart. Make notes. Retest all low value resistors. Report on what's dead and what's not. Drink coffee & smile.

-Chris

what could have happened?

I'm sort of in the dark is to the reason for my short across the resistor. I obviously don't want that fiasco to occur again. Fundamental question: When measuring bias, I am measuring current, correct? So... If I set my DMM correctly, for mA, black lead in common, red in mA, and I measured across a resistor, why would it spark and create a short. I could kick myself now, but I was trying to establish a baseline for comparison to the faulty right channel. Of course, now I've increased my fun factor a few notches, and have two problems to deal with. My hat is off and much respect to all you pros out there!!!

Tom

A brief synopsis of where things are

Before I start my re-checking, here's a brief synopsis of the state of Nikko Alpha II. Apply power on; relay does not trip, remains in protect. Prior to the right channel fiasco, right channel functional with meter lamp lit. Now right meter lamp is also out. Lamps pass continuity check. Thought I might have fried them too! There is a change in status of the right channel (the original problem channel. I reported in a previos post that upon power up, the "test light bulb" stays brightly lit. Now, upon power up, it illuminates brightly, then dims to a dull glow. But then I sensed an odor from the power amp board, and immediately cut power (I only did this once.)
Started re-checking the components as instructed, but I can't seem to locate anything suspicious yet. Can I effectively check these components while they are soldered to the board? For example, the meter was reading a short across a transistor, only to have it check out okay when removed from the board. But then with other T's, they seem to check out okay in place? Huh?

Tom
:bigeyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.