• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Nigel Wright's Vendor Thread

I have been writing Windows programs since around 1985.
From Assembler upto Delphi, C++ and c#

The desktop version has to work on any version of Windows from XP onwards which it does very well.

Having sold around 700 copies and had very little poor feedback your comments will be taken with a pinch of salt.

This is the danger of attempting to speak about something you know very little of !

So what exactly do you know about me that allows you to make that last statement. I taught Windows programming using most of those tools you mention and starting before you because I had a slight advantage.

Any more detail is none of your business or anyone else's here. And by the way, I was being kind to your Win8 app. I said nothing about your desktop version because I don't know it.

Just don't get into this Windows programming stuff with me. Wrong person on the receiving end. If you search long enough you might be able to find out what me job titles were from 1985 to 1995.

to give you a better idea, take rails at full power, divide that by 3, ................
That works very well when the output current is relatively low compared to the maximum current output.
This probably limits the output current to ~~~10% of the maximum current for the divide by 3 rule to apply. 10% of maximum current is the same as 10% of the maximum power into 10 times the load impedance. Into the same load impedance 10% of maximum current is equivalent to 1% of maximum power.

Once the current increases towards maximum, then the subtraction for losses through the system become very significant and cannot be ignored, not even for a very short transient peak.

Last edited:
So why rip into the desktop version if you know nothing about it?

It is a very successful piece of software which has been developed over 20+ years.
I have a huge client base.
I have also designed 95 pcb's with it myself and so if there are any bugs I would definitely have found them by now.

As for the Win 8 free app.
That has some seriously good algorithms in it from the desktop app.
You have made a very basic mistake and that is criticise software before you have taken time to properly get into it.
Cursory criticisms like that are very amateur.

As far as I can tell I didn't say a single bad word about the desktop app.

I cannot get to the good stuff - the seriously good algorithms - in the Win8 app because it has so many user interface issues. That's what I think I wrote the first time around about the Win8 app also: "limited library, weird interface on Win8 ...". Maybe I should have written: too many Win8 UI issues. I can't get anything done in the free app.

No word ever from me about the quality of your algorithms ... I never used the word pcb.

Win8 UI issues, that's all. Try it on a couple more configurations.

42/1.414=29.7V and this is without a load i guess.

29.7*29.7/8=110W at 8ohm. 220W at 4ohm. 440W PEAK at 4ohm. and this is with NO voltage drop under load. so the acctual numbers will be lower.

and then there is the question, will only 2 output pairs handle 4ohm load and this amount of power over time?

I have flogged it to death overdriving it for over an hour and the heatsink barely got warm.

This is what comes of specifying components properly.

And not designing it down to a price.

there is a happy combination of power traffo size, rail voltage and amplifier heatsinking that results is a robust amp for the power....looks like you hit it...:D

can you post pics of your amp please?

That works very well when the output current is relatively low compared to the maximum current output.
This probably limits the output current to ~~~10% of the maximum current for the divide by 3 rule to apply. 10% of maximum current is the same as 10% of the maximum power into 10 times the load impedance. Into the same load impedance 10% of maximum current is equivalent to 1% of maximum power.

Once the current increases towards maximum, then the subtraction for losses through the system become very significant and cannot be ignored, not even for a very short transient peak.

can you post pictures of your amps please?