• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Nice triode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I prefer this "Power Triode" more :p
:happy2:

P.S. it is tube related, not OT

Attachments

• Power Triode.jpg
    Power Triode.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 951
pentodes with NFB applied have even triodey curves than triodes with no NFB

That is, as I see it, correct if we talk voltage feedback.

If we add current feedback to a triode we get the opposite, pentodeish looking curves.

Still we want to find equidistant curves for linearity. This wether it is pentodes or triodes.

Last edited:
UH-Ohhh I can hear chopper sounds outside. OH-No..... They took my box! Darn!
Well they didn't get the $2 dollar ones at least: (a common high gm video amp tube in triode mode, see attached)

I'll give you a hint on the mystery "tube", it uses Schading and has a 6DN3 damper in series with the "cathode".

Attachments

• 12HL7_triode.jpg
    12HL7_triode.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 998
Last edited:
"The curves LOOK like an EL36, but that much current would cook 'em "

The 1st curves are for a 6HJ5, a rugged 24 Watt tube. The 100 mA and 200 V figures are for the full axis (not per div., if that's what you were thinking). But a 6HJ5 will do a 1/2 amp readily. Futtermann used them for one of his OTLs. The triode curves are fairly similar for the other horiz. output tubes (18 Watt class) that I have looked at. Most of them have a Mu of around 3 to 4.7

Last edited:
Well, lets take a look at some of the "black sheep" in the tube family now. Here is the triode in a 6KR8 or 6LQ8. Sort of an extreme version of the 12AT7. Notice the curves falling over to the right side. These may still work OK in P-P. But will have heavy 2nd Harmonic in SE.

Attachments

• 6KR8.jpg
    6KR8.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 959
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.