Nice pickup today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Hexapole" magnets... they are adjustable, and permalloy magnets on sticky strips for edge convergence. Rotatable stick on magnets for corner purity.

I can do these with one eye shut and the other on the mantelpiece :D

(not easy to photograph are they)

I found all of the adjustments you were talking about when I cracked her open to clean today. Beautiful tube construction, adequate power supply. A real beast. Too bad there's no component input, just S-Video. Apparently this model has surround sound out (according to the owners manual) but there are no menu options for it and the audio out is stereo. I suppose Sony sold two sets under this model number both with S-Video but with or without surround. Typical Sony strangeness. Otherwise I was impressed with the construction and parts quality. The adjustments you mention are still all glued in their factory locations. I'm sure they need fooling with, the upper left edge of the screen is a tad distorted compared to the right. All in all a great picture though, destroys my 55" LCD and other CRT sets I have seen. I think my 27" Trinny is sharper, but it's probably the same resolution as this set with a finer dot pitch.

xOFLjOo.jpg

GRvcc2f.jpg

YtUjunz.jpg

wvf1MgM.jpg

yiTi9gz.jpg

37wDatv.jpg

TdGp9GP.jpg

puMZ9GJ.jpg

GRRewU3.jpg

Hi, i've still got a 25" SONY that i bought new over 25 years ago. In fact it's in this room & working just fine. I only had one repair done to it in all this time, about 10 years ago, which only cost £17. Triniton was the best ever CRT. I'm reluctant to let it go, as there's no reason to !

I do have a Samsung 32" Full HD in another room, which does look nice on "Real" HD programmes etc. Even so, the SONY is more natural looking.

As an aside. When the UK was in the process of switching over from analogue to digital, with an external digital set top box connected to the SONY i had to buy, i could change inputs on the SONY in real time with the remote & compare the Same channels. The regular non HD digital channels were/are a LOT worse than the analogue ones. So much for progress :p

Someone gave me one of the last Sony CRT TVs made. It was a 36 inch flat screen CRT Trinitron. Because it was flat, the front glass on the CRT was about half an inch thick. The TV weighed 220 pounds and I would guess 210 of that was the CRT. After gathering up the required 3 large guys to move it twice, I decided that third time it would move out of my house, so I gave it to a guy I worked with. He put it in a rental house so that nobody would, or could steal it. We bought a 40 inch Sony LCD to replace it.

That CRT TV did have the best picture of any CRT TV I had seen, but didn't do HD or receive digital broadcasts, so it had to go. I had ditched Comcast when they nearly doubled the rates.

Amazon.com: Sony KD36FS170 36-Inch FD Trinitron WEGA Hi-Scan Digital Television: Electronics

Someone gave me one of the last Sony CRT TVs made. It was a 36 inch flat screen CRT Trinitron. Because it was flat, the front glass on the CRT was about half an inch thick. The TV weighed 220 pounds and I would guess 210 of that was the CRT. After gathering up the required 3 large guys to move it twice, I decided that third time it would move out of my house, so I gave it to a guy I worked with. He put it in a rental house so that nobody would, or could steal it. We bought a 40 inch Sony LCD to replace it.

That CRT TV did have the best picture of any CRT TV I had seen, but didn't do HD or receive digital broadcasts, so it had to go. I had ditched Comcast when they nearly doubled the rates.

Amazon.com: Sony KD36FS170 36-Inch FD Trinitron WEGA Hi-Scan Digital Television: Electronics

I believe Sony made a 40" 16:9 flat screen Trinitron WEGA. Dunno if it was HD. I have a penchant for the traditional bubble screen and 4:3 aspect ratio. My TV weighs in at 183lbs, that's about 83kg for those of you who have the luxury of living in a part of the world using a modern, logical system of measurement. This TV is supposedly a 35", which many call a 36" though I have never seen a 36" that was larger than my own. What's with that? Did they really make a 35 and 36 incher separate? Or is the 36 a myth and this is another Sony-ism. I'll take a tape measure to her tomorrow. Flip of the coin chance it's a 32" "viewable area" "36"

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
While we are on about CRT quality here are some off screen pics from my old (30yr) Philips 15CT2309.05 which was of the first FST (flat screen) portables. It uses the CTX-E chassis. Its pretty much all original apart from replacement of the memory backup battery with a lithium coin cell and giving the chassis a full resolder (its a Philips :D). This is one I spent ages setting the geometry and convergence on.

The Sony (a KV32DX200U) is easier to photograph becaue of its 100Hz scan rate. The two pictures at the end show what I mean about it having the definition on certain backgrounds such as clouds or water. In reality its stunning.

Attachments

• Philips 1.jpg
    Philips 1.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Sony 5.jpg
    Sony 5.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Sony 4.jpg
    Sony 4.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 37
  • Sony 3.jpg
    Sony 3.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Sony 2.jpg
    Sony 2.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Sony 1.jpg
    Sony 1.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Philips 2.jpg
    Philips 2.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 36
Well you boys are welcome to revel in the glory of your electronic barbells from the past. I suppose that one could make an argument that these things were a better deal for the money than modern TVs on a dollar/pound (euro/kg) basis. Oops, gotta go...there's a call coming in on my brick cellphone - that baby has way more range and clarity than those dumbed down smartphones I see all of the hipsters carrying. :D

The Sony (a KV32DX200U) is easier to photograph becaue of its 100Hz scan rate. The two pictures at the end show what I mean about it having the definition on certain backgrounds such as clouds or water. In reality its stunning.
And ... ? That's why one adjusts a LCD set, to make sure the detail is rendered correctly ... yes, sets in the retail store look bloody awful, that seems to be the intention of the sellers, for some reason, :D. But one is not beholden to live with that, the user can be in control ... ;)

While we are on about CRT quality here are some off screen pics from my old (30yr) Philips 15CT2309.05 which was of the first FST (flat screen) portables. It uses the CTX-E chassis. Its pretty much all original apart from replacement of the memory backup battery with a lithium coin cell and giving the chassis a full resolder (its a Philips :D). This is one I spent ages setting the geometry and convergence on.

Fine sets you have there. Do you know of a good guide that I might do these adjustments myself?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
And ... ? That's why one adjusts a LCD set, to make sure the detail is rendered correctly ... yes, sets in the retail store look bloody awful, that seems to be the intention of the sellers, for some reason, :D. But one is not beholden to live with that, the user can be in control ... ;)

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one Frank :)

Fine sets you have there. Do you know of a good guide that I might do these adjustments myself?

I'm afraid I don't these days. I learnt it all back in the day as a TV repair tech. You would probably be best following the service manual for any particular set. Older sets had many adjustments to go through for geometry and convergence such as E-W (east west), N-S (north south), pincushion distortion, linearity of the vertical scan and many more.

The Test card F in the above pictures tells more than you might think actually.

Attachments

• TC1.jpg
    TC1.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 62
  • TC 2.jpg
    TC 2.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 56
  • TC 3.jpg
    TC 3.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 51
Older sets had many adjustments to go through for geometry and convergence such as E-W (east west), N-S (north south), pincushion distortion, linearity of the vertical scan and many more.
The Test card F in the above pictures tells more than you might think actually.
Plus adjustments for focus, RGB gun cut-offs and RGB gains.
When these are optimised, I agree that good model Sony Trinitrons eat flat screen (Plasma/LCD) sets...except for picture size.
The latest flat screens are damn good however.

Dan.

I was a Blackline-S fan - and especially in Loewe they outperformed Sony Trinitron anyday (my subjective opinion). I have replaced my Loewe CRT. But not for a better picture. I use a mediacenter now, and the resolution in the CRT was not good. And any good HDMI to RGB converter was very expensive.

Colors was better on the Loewe (and sound), but everything else is better on my Philips LCD. Out of the box the Philips was horrible. It really needs a lot of adjustment. And SCART input is very artificial. But who cares I need HDMI and 1080p.

Back in the day, I fine adjusted focus and RGB gain/cut offs of every set that went over my bench.

One trick was to use a jewellers loupe against the face of the tube when adjusting cut-offs.
For colour balance, adjust RGB for correct whites.
For focus sweep through optimal several times to home in on final setting.
With practice I had it done in a couple of minutes.
I routinely received feedback that these sets had never imaged so well.
Also good for repeat business and word of mouth advertising.

Dan.

Last edited:
Back in the day, I fine adjusted focus and RGB gain/cut offs of every set that went over my bench.

One trick was to use a jewellers loupe against the face of the tube when adjusting cut-offs.
For colour balance, adjust RGB for correct whites.
For focus sweep through optimal several times to home in on final setting.
With practice I had it done in a couple of minutes.
I routinely received feedback that these sets had never imaged so well.
Also good for repeat business and word of mouth advertising.

Dan.

That is why I am interested in adjusting my own now. I know it has never been touched and the factory calibration probably wasn't the best it could have been anyhow. I'll probably get my reference signal off of a DVD player hooked up to the S-Video port on this bad boy. There are enough adjustments for me to play optometrist with for a while (this one... *flip* or that one...? *flip* this one...? *flip* that one...?) etc.

For focus, normal programme content is fine.
For adjusting RGB gain cut-offs, you need a black frame, contrast at max, and brightness at normal setting.
You may need to go through the adjustments two or three times to get it all correct.

Get a fine tipped marker pen and carefully/precisely mark all trimmers before you start - black pen or white pen according to the trimpots colouring...if you screw up you can return to original settings.

Sony sets have a G2 setting also... Google adjusting Sony CRT sets, and get hold of a service manual.
I never found that a tv that was set optimally from factory.

Dan.

For focus, normal programme content is fine.
For adjusting RGB gain cut-offs, you need a black frame, contrast at max, and brightness at normal setting.
You may need to go through the adjustments two or three times to get it all correct.

Get a fine tipped marker pen and carefully/precisely mark all trimmers before you start - black pen or white pen according to the trimpots colouring...if you screw up you can return to original settings.

Sony sets have a G2 setting also... Google adjusting Sony CRT sets, and get hold of a service manual.
I never found that a tv that was set optimally from factory.

Dan.

Looking at my set there are no trimmers besides the two one on the flyback transformer that I assume is not to be fooled with, one is glued in place. Looks like all the action takes place around the yoke of the tube with those rotating tabs that are all glued in place? I'll draw a straight line across them that extends to a stationary reference point so if I mess up I can go back to where I started easily.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.