• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newcomer, where to start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

After much reading on Morgan's book as well as forum discussions, I think I would get started with Claus Byrith's 30W pp amp, since it is very well documented by him. Push-Pull looks easier on the wallet, since the output transformer can be smaller and better quality.

Here are some questions before I start on the part list building.

1) Does anyone have a schematic with better resolution and some more standard component values display? (I am having a hard time trying to understand some of the component values, kW?)

2) Byrith mentioned about PCB being manufactured in his project paper. Is it still around for sale?

3) He uses Lundahl transformers, (its a Lundahl project afterall), but I took a look at K&K sound (US distributor), and the price is pretty steep (LL1663 and LL1669). Any other choice in here? I know that Lundahl is very high quality, so if it comes to the choice, I will probably stick with it, if nothing is better in quality , possibly cheaper.

4) What brand of tubes are good choices for EL34, ECC83 and EF86? Mullard got a good name around, but they look quite up there. I would like to go mid-range in terms of price for this project, since this is my first afterall. How's the new Electro-Harmonix?

Thanks for your help. I probably will have more questions comming up, but that's it for now.

Peter

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I think you'll find that the code for the omega symbol (for Ohms) is often corrupted by computers into "W", so kW often means kilo-Ohms.

Genuine NOS Mullard valves will be inordinately expensive as there are barely any left. The "new" Mullard and Tung-Sol are just rebranded Russian valves - that's not to say that they might not be perfectly good, but they're not Mullards or Tung-Sols, even if they have legally bought the logos and brand names.

Thanks for the answer. I guess Mullard is more boutique than what I need for a starting amp. How's the new electro-harmonix tubes? Their price look right, but they got several different choice, including Elite and Elite Gold. What's the difference?

I looked into the schematic again. Would you think it is too much for a person that never did PTP wiring before to construct?

Thanks,
Peter

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
peterpan188 said:
I looked into the schematic again. Would you think it is too much for a person that never did PTP wiring before to construct?

Nice PTP wiring is quite hard to do, but the main required ingredient is patience. I've seen impatient engineers make the most ghastly Horlicks of such a task. If you think carefully between each step you should be fine.

I can't really comment on modern production valves (I avoid them), but I can say that I've seen poor cathodes on Chinese valves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.