Newbie Soundstream ref 604 repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you had the whole pcb out yet?

With GREAT care, do so, and resolder those upright pcb's (both sides of the upright pcb) where they attach through the main pcb .

The soldering here 'cracks' and causes intermittencies.

Percy.

So, would/could the oscillating voltages at the opamp be called an intermittency? I looked over the driver board solder joints, with a magnifier and they 'look' OK. Should I reflow them anyway?

So, would/could the oscillating voltages at the opamp be called an intermittency? I looked over the driver board solder joints, with a magnifier and they 'look' OK. Should I reflow them anyway?

Most definately.

Remove the solder from the 'squarish' pads where the upright pcb's are soldered and re-solder them.

Have you changed your op-amp that was getting hot?

Most definately.

Remove the solder from the 'squarish' pads where the upright pcb's are soldered and re-solder them.

I'll need to find some desolder wick and I'll get on it!

Have you changed your op-amp that was getting hot?

I haven't as traveling and Lent took most of my free time. I've been hoping to find the opamp locally. I'm in a larger town for the week and am going to call around to see if I can find the opamp from a local TV shop. I've been in touch with J&R (thanks 1moreamp) and will be able to get switches and driver boards from him, if needed. I've got the amp and my iron with me so I hope to find the opamp so I have something to do this week.

Hey! I got the amp working! You guy are the best!!

I resoldered the driver boards - NBD!

I found a opamp at a local electronics house. It wasn't the TI 5532 but whatever brand they had that crossed over. Only issue was that I left a little trail of solder across pin 2 and 3. Channel one came on but channel one went dead. As soon as I found and removed the klinker it fired right up. The SS sounds great through the Hybrid Audio Tech Clarus 6.5 comps and MB Quart coaxials. Need to work on the doors!!!

I'll post a build log over on DIYmobile audio.com and link it here for those who want to see.

Thanks again!!!
Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.