• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newbie PSU question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
You will find that PSUD defaults to a resistor as a load, but if you click on it, you will find that you can change it to a current sink (much more useful). You then just plug in the current drawn by your circuit. You will find it's well worth investigating all the options within PSUD.

In theory, valve rectifiers are quieter. It doesn't always show up, but sometimes silicon generates some nasty ringing in the mains transformer. However, the real advantage is that valve rectifiers take time to warm up and apply the power gently to the power supply electrolytics rather than hammering them. GZ32/34 are expensive, but a pair of 6CL3 (slightly beefier, but 6.3V heaters) are cheap.

poobah said:
phn,

The 68K resistor is far too large to simulate your load.

The design software allows you the option of using a current source as your load.

This can make your simulations easier.

;)

Figuring I actually knew what the heck I'm doing here :D

Originally posted by EC8010
You will find that PSUD defaults to a resistor as a load, but if you click on it, you will find that you can change it to a current sink (much more useful). You then just plug in the current drawn by your circuit. You will find it's well worth investigating all the options within PSUD.

Swell, now I have to be an engineer ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't know the current draw of the circuit if it kicked me in the head.

I have a GZ34 on my Leak power amp. But I have a hard time justify such a wasteful thing.

Thanks guys.

I still have things to look into, as well as a book to read. Right now a hybrid rectifier looks most interesting. But that might change next week. I would like to get away from the tube altogether.

At least I have enough now, I think, to start the project. The rectifier and mains transformer will have to wait.

I now understand the PSU Designer. Actually, that was I while ago. I write this because I'm planning to buy the components now.

The original PSU design I worked with had the following cap values: 16, 225 and 220 uF. After fiddling around, I found that 40, 500 and 250 uF are close to ideal, being limited by the GZ34. I could add more chokes and more caps. But the figures I have look pretty good: 498.54n difference.

How do I know when enough is enough, realistically?

Often people here say, add more capacitance and more is better. But the PSU designer says different. When I experimented with values for my power amp, the relatively low values used produced the best figures. The GZ34 was again a limiting factor, but still.

I have started to read Morgan Jones's Valve Amplifiers. But I had to halt at the first chapters due to lack of time.

One other question. Is there any real benefit with dual caps other than space or such?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.