Newbie - pls help - merging vintage Goodman and Philips on OB with different imp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wasn't talking about a particular driver or enclosure, but just seeing that
they are popular so there must be some substance in them. I haven't tried nor heard. I'm more towards 3 or 2 way systems. I've got a pair of 7" vintage philips with magnet on the front and whizzer, they come from an old record player. They play quite good...limited to 100-10000 Hz ( I guess ).
Are the JELABS OB speakers those ?JE Labs: JE Labs Open Baffle redux
Very large baffle...and I don't like ( they mustn't exist :rolleyes: ) reflections from the surrounding of the speaker.
The good thing is that the speakers are not huge. Till 6 1/2 "-7" is ok

Lol
Ok so you are worried about aesthetics then... Lol
I understand that the WAF factor is quite low.... But that is exactly why I mentioned in initial post , that I am after musicality and not concerned about looks and brand names etc...

I suppose it is all subjective in the end...and I think the use of small drivers trying to push air in boxes comes at extreme costs sometimes..

Trust me good sir ,, if there is reflections , then they are awesome reflections :)

Hello there..
Me again...

I have been fiddling around for sometime now and think I managed to get a very good result.

Basically what I am doing now is using a 4 way XO , very similar to the Dhalquest Dq10.

I am using the Philips Ad12100 m8 in parallel to the goodmans axiom 201 for some serious LF capability zzz .. Then I use a Philips 9710m for lower mids ..
Some unknown upper treble driver looking a lot like the old Alison 9 mid drivers and some special decca kelly ribbons as super tweets.

These are all in the one baffle .. The Kelly and upper treble units are on top of the jelabs baffle and the midbass and 2 12" LF drivers mounted on the actual open baffle...
It looks like Shyte really .. But the aim was to get the music playing...
I can only report that I have never enjoyed such open and fast bass with so much detail overall from low to the high..

Very nice indeed. The punch and transient attack from these vintage drivers are almost non existent in modern drivers honestly( maybe some very over prices ones).
I mean are you aware where one can find drivers with QTS of .5 and up and a sensitivity of 94+ for under 100$ in the modern world.. ?

This will be my path then..bye bye B&W...lol.

What I am planning to do is then have the two 12 inch Philips and goodmans play to about 200hz insuring the 15ohm is taken into account. Then I would cross the Philips 9710m upto about 6k ( with a notch filter for it's known 6db peak at about 2.5) and have the decca kelly ribbon take it all the way upto as far as it will go...
The fact that these drives are all Dropping in sensitivity from LF to HF is also good as that mean more low then high at a certain level , which is just what OB's need..
Also if that is good , I will close the project by making a visually good looking baffle done by some good craftsmen locally...

hey , I have the ad12100 m8 in JELABS OB speakers cabs full range ,the trick was a notch fillter of 20uf , .22mh coil , & a resistor to adjust the level ie 4.7r = 4db , 11r = 7.5 db .This removes the 2.2k shout , you also would need a zobel after the notch of about 8r - 10 -20uf at the driver between positive and negative lugs , hope this helps PLEASE DO NOT CUT THE WISSER CONE of a wonderfull speaker .

Hi JPL...
I still have the drivers very nicely tucked away....
had the vivid audio speakers up for a while...
I want to get back to them as fullrange on OB and your post might just be the answer... tx...
I am not technical so might have to disturb you for some details at some point if you don't mind [emoji1531][emoji1531]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.