Newbie Just Starting - do wires matter for signal and power?

I'm building an enclosure that holds 3 existing PCB boards that are streamers - basically small pre-amps that you can stream to. Mostly an assembly challenge to house the 3 PCB boards, add a single power switch, a 5V power supply, and 6 RCA terminals for inputs on the back panel along with a way to connect the plug to the mains.

I'll need to run wires from the RCA jacks to the PCB boards and I'll need to run power from the supply to each of the PCB boards.

1. For the RCA input signals can I just use single stranded wires for these connections or do i need any kind of shielded wires or keep them in pairs in any way?
  2. For Power from the supply to the pre-amp PCB boards I assume i can just use a single positive 5V wire and a single ground wire with a gauge that covers the expected amperage?
While i'm asking...anyone know a good source for where i can get a good regulated 5V power supply for this that I can install in my enclosure?

1. I would use single core shielded audio cable.

1712697712856.png

2. I would consider twisted pair cable. Does not require to be thick as current draw will be low.

1712697893171.png

Regarding a source for a power supply, it would be helpful if you were to include your location alongside your avatar.

Others have found that unshielded wire pairs, twisted together, achieve good results, especially when Money Is A Concern. I have some old single conductor 20 gauge twin wire that looks similar to the twin wire above, but without the shielding. I use one wire for signal, and the other for ground. It works fine for my MoFo.

Routing the input wires in different paths can also have a noticeable effect on the sound, depending on where the mains connector, power supply and PCBs are located.

Kind regards,
Drew

If you’re only going 6” from the RCA to the board you can get away with just twisting two wires together with one ground and the other signal. Keep the signal wires away from the power wires. Don’t over stress this. If you get hum then use single conductor shielded cable.

Reactions: 1 user