• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

newb needs help on simple el84 amp PS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DJNUBZ said:
I really need a pic of how to do this. Could you modify a pic off the website so I know how to do this?

OK,
Try this. To connect your tubes in triode mode hook up the blue circuit. To connect them in pentode mode hook up the red circuit. Use only one, red or blue.

Attachments

• triodepentode.jpg
    triodepentode.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 192
The more I think about this, the more I think building the amp without the choke is a very bad idea.

The premise of the amp was to have very simple circuitry by using the output stage as a phase splitter. So far, so good.
However, the change drastically reduced the power supply rejection ratio. No problem, we add a CLC choke filter, and add a tuning cap to notch out the 120 Hz. Or we add a regulated supply. Designer chose the CLC for simplicity.

Going to CRC will require:
A regulated supply.
Much more Capacitance in the supply.
A "proper" front end with phase splitter.
An input transformer phase splitter.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

well I have bought the parts and was hopping to build this using what I have. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to work ok. Will this same amp work using the same schematic but with a CRC PS? Will it work with using the outputs trans. I have in pentode? If so I really need to know this. If not I need a schematic for an amp I can build with what I have already bought and have on hand.

My advice to you is to try it and report back.
Everything you have purchased is usable.

If I am wrong, I apologize in advance.
If I am right, someone on the board may be able to suggest an inexpensive change.

I have a EE degree, I have studied a lot for the last 3 years, but haven't built much. Therefore, I do not consider myself an "expert" or the last word. Hopefully, one of the guru's will chime in with a second opinion.

Good luck with your project.

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.