New Zealand Earthquake - Any Members Affected ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yeah the flood disaster here also seemed to bring the leader out in our mayor, who i never really had any respect for before and we also experienced the same camaraderie that has been going the way of the dodo for years. hopefully its not forgotten with the scars on the landscape

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Coverage of the Christchurch earthquake has been extensive on the media around here. The devastation shown is just stunning, reminds me of old pictures of San Fransisco..

Glad to hear that most members seem to be doing OK. Best of luck to everyone!

It is events like these that really remind us that we are not in charge of our destinies, I think that is perhaps one of the hardest things to deal with.

My hopes for a speedy recovery! NZ at least has the sort of resources, organization and social/governmental integrity to put things back together relatively quickly. Looking at Haiti it is shocking just how little progress has been made after the catastrophic earthquake there, and their plight has long since dropped out of the media spotlight.

By NZ standards Christchurch was considered low risk. But earthquakes can occur anywhere, as Australia found out a few years ago. Cities like Istanbul, and those in Greece or Italy are not built to the same standard as here, and a similar shallow earthquake would be even more destructive of life. Other countries are even more at risk.
Unfortunately in Christchurch, a number of overseas people, (tourists, language students) are among the missing. And quite a number have lost all their possessions, passports etc, left in the now collapsed hotel. That limits what they can do in the short term, although emergency documents have been made available.
Christchurch is well organised, and easy to get in and out of. Other places are not so good.
So for those that travel, always keep your passport and credit card on your person, (in a waterproof envelope if necessary, regardless of what you are doing.

I travelled with my passport and credit card in a holster under my left arm. You should have seen the reaction of the USA (and Israeli) border guard when I went to get the passport they were requesting...

I learned to do it sssslllllooooowwwwwwllllllyyyyyyyy and to tell them what I was doing and why!

That was in 1986 - I would choose another option now.

Hi guys,

I'm a student in Christchurch, thankfully we live on the western side of the city in a 1 story wooden house near the university so we were relatively unaffected. I was on the 7th floor of the physics building at the time my computer screen fell over but that was about all, I had no idea how damaging that quake would be. We were outside when the first aftershock hit and I watched the 7 story concrete math building bend back and forth like it was made out of rubber, I guess that's what the engineers designed it to do but it was still amazing. Later at home we were in the kitchen and the second big aftershock hit and our brick chimney half came through the roof of the room next to us. We had been using a long drop we built on the back lawn but we're allowed to use toilets now, still have to boil water though.

On the positive side though uni isn't open for at least 2 more weeks so I've been able to start back on the projects I've put off while trying to finish my masters thesis. Yesterday I did all the soldering on the amp I'm building and today I'm going to case it up in some beautiful Rimu (native wood) I've got. My mMarS speakers fell about a metre off my desk in the quake but they're fine as far as I can tell. Any word on gooki (the member I bought the drivers from), he's in Northern Christchurch though so hopefully not too affected.

Cheers,
James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.