New waveguide for 1"+ tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently found a Waveguide in a Swedish netshop and ordered a pair. (link to the manufacturer)
They are claimed to be made for 1" tweeters with a 94mm bolt circle.
But they are made in such a way that i was able to attach a Audax TW34XO to it and cobble up a quick and dirty test setup.
I think its promising, but if anyone with measuring gear think these are interesting, and find them cheap enough to experiment with them. i would love to see some graphs.

Attachments

• visaton wg220x150.jpg
    visaton wg220x150.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 761
  • visaton studio1.jpg
    visaton studio1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,093
Hi , sorry , but , how can you attach a 34 mm tweeter to a 25 mm hole :confused:
I know they are cheap and ready made , but I preferred to make myself some WGs with dead speakers ; also the cheap elliptic ones taken from Tv near the trash are good .
They allow an enhancement in sensitivity in the lower range reproduced by the tw , till the mouth opening allows . This allows ( again ! ) to make a simpler crossover , also a single cap , depending on the project / design :)

Hi , sorry , but , how can you attach a 34 mm tweeter to a 25 mm hole :confused:
I know they are cheap and ready made , but I preferred to make myself some WGs with dead speakers ; also the cheap elliptic ones taken from Tv near the trash are good .
They allow an enhancement in sensitivity in the lower range reproduced by the tw , till the mouth opening allows . This allows ( again ! ) to make a simpler crossover , also a single cap , depending on the project / design :)

If you visited the link you would have found measurements.
The hole in the WG are actually 38mm (dont ask me why) and covers about the half of the suspension on the TW34XO. this suspension have more than 2mm clearance to the mounting plate of the WG so no problems there either.

I have searched the site and do not find the price or how to order.

Can you provide some direction?

I have posted an inquiry to Visaton.

Sorry about the delay.
Solen sells Visaton drivers, and even if this particular WG are not in their sortiment, it migth be so that they can get some if asked.

I bougth mine from Ljudia in Sweden
And paid about 25$ each + shipping for them, but if they even sell to the US, shipping migth be a dealbreaker in your case.

No samadhi, for what I understand the decision was not a 6.5" but a 5" and an 8". Maybe you will be happy with a different one.:cool:
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories

Its too small for a good directivity match with an 8"woofer.

It needs to be turned sideways for use with a 5" woofer, such that the rectangular face makes driver spacing too high.

The wide rectangular face makes no sense, atlease make it a spherical waveguide if you go that route.

Its too small for a good directivity match with an 8"woofer.

If the directivity match gets better than if a bare tweeter is used, its doing its job (are the WG`s Troels use in combination with the TW34XO really that much bigger?)

It needs to be turned sideways for use with a 5" woofer, such that the rectangular face makes driver spacing too high.

99,9% of the manufacturers use bare tweeters with midwoofers smaller than 6-7", and i wouldnt be too surpriced that even most of the DIY`ers who find these interesting are planning a 2 way with an 8" or if they are really adventurous even a 10"

The wide rectangular face makes no sense, atlease make it a spherical waveguide if you go that route.

With an 8" wich i see as the intended combo, it makes perfectly sense,
the only dravback i se with the shape are the extra trouble of countersinking it in a baffle with a router, this i dont fear, since i have access to an industrial milling machine wich should do the job more easyli.

The main reason i defend this product are that it is aviable for a price i am willing to pay for an item for experimentation, Troels WG who probably are better are NOT aviable for such a price

It's obvious, and I agree. Many designs have also large space between drivers. They (manufacturers) don't come with a lot of designs every year, much less for new waveguides/horns, the SEOS project being an exception for the last couple of years. When one comes out it's new but has some flaws. Visaton is known for being good but not a good example of perfection with some very good (read the best) products.

The main reason i defend this product are that it is aviable for a price i am willing to pay for an item for experimentation, Troels WG who probably are better are NOT aviable for such a price

Maybe they're just a copy of the Pyle PH65 or MCM 54-580
I've inquired the price, i was quite surprised, four times the price of the the previous references.

I own two TW034, by the way if you use them without wave guide, you must add a notch filter f : 10.7 khz, Q:1, -3db (RCL 5.6 Ohms, 2.2 mF, 0.1 mH) because of their rising SPL curve. The use of a wave guide creating a flat SPL curve prevent tu use this notch filter.

Maybe they're just a copy of the Pyle PH65 or MCM 54-580.

Nope, the WG`s you mention are made for use with a troat with brass treaded inserts for accepting compression drivers. those who have used them with dome tweeters have made substantial moods to make them work.

Troels WG are made for the TW34XO and the Visaton are made for a few of their domes. and will only need mods if you want to use them with CD`s

I own two TW034, by the way if you use them without wave guide, you must add a notch filter f : 10.7 khz, Q:1, -3db (RCL 5.6 Ohms, 2.2 mF, 0.1 mH) because of their rising SPL curve. The use of a wave guide creating a flat SPL curve prevent tu use this notch filter.

Thanks a lot for that info, it migth come in handy of any of my 4 TW34XO will end up being used without a WG.

In a German magasine they have crossed it at second order 2Khz (6.8mF, 15 mf, 0.33 mH).
I havent tried to filter the tw034 it so lower, in my system I use now second order,
(3.8 mF, 0.15, 12 mF) fc is arount 4500 kHz.

Feedback welcome concerning TW034 crossover and measures :)
With wich speaker are you planning tu use de TW034 ?

Last edited:
In a German magasine they have crossed it at second order 2Khz (6.8mF, 15 mf, 0.33 mH).
I havent tried to filter the tw034 it so lower, in my system I use now second order,
(3.8 mF, 0.15, 12 mF) fc is arount 4500 kHz.

Feedback welcome concerning TW034 crossover and measures :)
With wich speaker are you planning tu use de TW034 ?

They will most probably end up with bastardized bassmids made by mixing and matching certain baskets reconed with other than the manufacturers intended parts, i prefer to not say more at this point, since i migth wanna buy more rawmaterial and dont need competition for the parts at the prefered sources. After all, i belive i am not the only one who would like to try out this idea, or would like to try to partially DIY a couple of drivers.

Visaton-s 'waveguide' is a 15cm circle. Seas has a 10cm DXT, Monacor WG-300 is a 17cm unit.
This profile is more similar to a good studio-monitor waveguide, should give a 130-150deg. nominal coverage in the tweeters passband. No more mushroom-cloud looking horizontal dispersion. Shame they put it on a big rectangle. Makes mating to a 5-7" a pain due to wider baffle than necessary. An 8" is quite directional by 2kHz, but can this device hold pattern till 1,5kHz to mate with an 8" - guess no. Anyone got some polars?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.