New (to me) Threshold FET-10 HL (What to refurbish?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are a couple of picss with the refurbished FET-10:

The new power supply is massive! It has a 200VA Torodial transformer, not to mention a lot of fileter caps. The difference rendered by the new power supply for the FET-10 is remarkable.

The sound from this setup is truly outstanding.

Attachments

• P1010132.jpg
    P1010132.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 1,268
  • P1010134.jpg
    P1010134.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 1,190
Actually, there are two PA-7's, and one PA-5 for the center channel. All the amps have been refurbished, and they sound great.

The new power supply for the FET-10 (it's the black box with the two LED's), makes a HUGE difference. It transforms the FET-10 to another level.

It almost seems that the original power supply for the FET-10 was designed by someone else. It really is pretty wimpy, and does not match the outstanding quality of the FET-10.

CD's from the Cambridge 840 are transformed with the upgraded FET-10.

P1010133.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Redwingnine,
...The new power supply is massive! It has a 200VA Torodial transformer, not to mention a lot of fileter caps. The difference rendered by the new power supply for the FET-10 is remarkable. The sound from this setup is truly outstanding.
I agree with you. I already done this kind of upgrade 20 years ago.

Don't you plan to upgrade you shelf? With good managing vibrations, you can put your system on the top.
I wrote few lines about this:Managing vibrations, a straight way to enhance audio performances

Thanks again for your pictures.

Hello Redwingnine,
I agree with you. I already done this kind of upgrade 20 years ago.

Don't you plan to upgrade you shelf? With good managing vibrations, you can put your system on the top.
I wrote few lines about this:Managing vibrations, a straight way to enhance audio performances

Thanks again for your pictures.

Eric, you're welcome.

Hadn't thought much about vibration management. I'll check it out and get back.

Gary, I'll pop the cover on the power supply later this week and post the pics. That should show most of what folks are after. I still can't get over what a diffference it makes with the FET-10. (The re-cap helped as well).

I recapped my FET-10/HL.

The outboard PS now has Nichicon FG power supply electrolytics (along with UF4007 diodes). Inside the main case, for the 4.7uF bypass, I used Elna Silmics.

Signal path - for the 1uF input capacitors, I replaced them with Relcap PPMFs which fit the same space perfectly. The 10uF output capacitors were a little more tricky - I ended up using 10uF/63V Wima metallized polycarbonates lying on their sides. It was a bit of a squeeze but everything works.

Subjectively speaking, the sound is a bit better - touch more detail, faster and more 'transparent'. I'm very happy and feel no need to buy anything else (for now!).

Attachments

• IMG_3495.JPG
    IMG_3495.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,104
I have the settings for the FET-10/PC - assuming they are the same:

As for setting up the impedance and capacitance loading - with the top open and the front of the preamplifier facing you, locate the two red 8 position dip switches on the far left side. If a dip switch is set to the left, it is ON. If it switched to the right, it is OFF.

Resistance Loading:
#1 - 22 ohms
#2 - 47 ohms
#3 - 100 ohms
#4 - 1,000 ohms

1-4 OFF = 47k ohms (ie, MM cartridge)

Capacitance Loading:
#5 - 1,000 picofards
#6 - 250 picofarads
#7 - 150 picofarads
#8 - 100 picofarads

5-8 OFF = 50 picofarads

To set the gain, locate the two jumper sliders on the middle left of the board. These are colored blue and each cover two pins of a three gold plated prong.

For highest gain, each jumper slide is positioned towards the center of the preamplifer. In this case the exposed pins are those nearest to the front and back of the preamplifier.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
new power supply

I built a new external power supply for my FET 10hl. The original power supply has a very puny transformer - only 6VA. I measured the current being drawn by the preamp and it draws about 3W steady state (it's a Class A preamp) so that's isn't much margin for the transformer. 6VA will deliver slightly less than 6W because there is some phase difference between current and voltage otherwise known as the power factor.

I upgraded the transformer to a 28VA transformer for extra headroom and changed from a traditional transformer - diode bridge - capacitor supply to a choke input supply, which consists of transformer - diode bridge - choke - capacitor supply. These are more commonly used in tube amps and are known to be very quiet. I also increased the size of the power supply caps to 2 x 10,000uf.

I wouldn't be writing if it wasn't a big improvement. Soundstage is huge and even more transparent than it was previously. Additionally a slight harshness/sibilance I was hearing, which I thought was due to my amplifiers has almost disappeared. It must be a good improvement because I keep wanting to listen to more music.

Attached is a schematic of the supply that I built. Not shown are the bypass caps that I used on the 10K electrolytics. I used Russian military caps - 10uf 63v (type K73-16) and 1uf 200v (type K40Y-9) and 0.22uf 630v (type K42Y-2).
For scale I've attached a picture of the original supply sitting on top of the new one. The new one is quite a bit larger and heavier due to all the iron.

Happy listening.
---Gary

Attachments

• PS_thres.gif
    PS_thres.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,092
  • 2PowerSupplies.jpg
    2PowerSupplies.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 1,079
Joined 2002
Paid Member
if you move lower choke to lowest leg , that way you'll also have same ripple in final pos and neg legs

I am reluctant to disagree with someone as esteemed as our own Zen Mod but I will in this case. I don't think that the ripple is changed by the location of the choke. If one says that the rectified AC from the bridge has a DC component Vdc and an AC component Vac, then it's simple to show that the capacitor charges to Vdc and the Vac term is attenuated by the ratio of Zc/(Zl+Zc) and the size and sign of the ripple is unaffected by the location of the choke. At least that's how it looks to me. But I'm happy to be corrected if I'm thinking about this in the wrong way.

Best regards,
---Gary

Joined 2002
Paid Member
PS pictures

Here are a few photographs showing the construction of the power supply. I wired everything up by hand and did not use any circuit board. Many components are suspended by their leads from the terminals for the transformer or the capacitors. It looks a bit messy but this type of construction sounds very good since everything is isolated in free space with minimal coupling.

Attachments

• Inside_front.jpg
    Inside_front.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 996
  • Inside_back.jpg
    Inside_back.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 961
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
GaryB - you have all rights to dissagree with anyone , especially with someone so not-serious as ZM is :rofl:

my thoughts aren't directed on electrical function of circuit itself ( and mea culpa for not addressing that) but more on physical layout of circuit itself ;

meaning that -for best results- physical layout of adjacent routes in PSU must be symmetrical/identical too .....
maybe splitting a hair but - in this hobby we are used to look at that last one ( hair :clown: )

all in all - kudos for passion and approach

:cheers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.