New to DIY Speakers...what can you tell me about Exodus Audio kits?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Specifically the Exodus Audio 61 2-way kit.

I dont really know much about the DIY world, and I was just wondering how well received this kit is. From some of the searches I've done people are saying the Mids on the Extremis seem a bit weak but I havent been able to find anyone's thoughts on this exact kit.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Raj:clown:

I've heard an extremis based 2 way (GrahamT and Jon Marsh's ExtremeMT - see htguide.com diy forum for info) and I thought the midrange was very good. Keep in mind that when dealing with drivers of this quality, comparisons are often made to class-leading references - so while the midrange may not stand up to that of say, a seas excel magnesium driver, it turns out that very little does, at any cost. It's all relative.

Hey Jakub, how's it going?

Hi Raj,

I've seen you over at Polk. I'm gatemplin.

I have not heard the Exodus kits, but I do have some opinions. :)

I would agree with Morbo, compared to a Seas Excel midrange the Extremis may be lacking but it is a midwoofer not a midrange anyway. You will find far more complaints about high end drivers than cheap ones.

Compared to drivers used in most commercial speakers, the Extremis is in another league.

Grahamt said:
Hey Jakub, how's it going?

Hi Raj,

I've seen you over at Polk. I'm gatemplin.

I have not heard the Exodus kits, but I do have some opinions. :)

I would agree with Morbo, compared to a Seas Excel midrange the Extremis may be lacking but it is a midwoofer not a midrange anyway. You will find far more complaints about high end drivers than cheap ones.

Compared to drivers used in most commercial speakers, the Extremis is in another league.

Good to see ya gatemplin! Yeah I guess the standards are just completely different. My curiosity is going to get the best of me really soon...it'll be sad to see these Aperions go.

Timn8ter said:

That's a beautiful speaker Tim. I'm drawn to designs where wide-range mids are allowed to run way up high, something about reducing in-room treble energy until the tweeter kicks in, I think, is more pleasing to my ears. If you don't mind my asking, is that what you've done with the Ruby? I see you refer to the Fostex as a supertweeter, it makes me think you're crossing over nice and high.

Also have you thought about whether the Ruby is going to become available as part of the Alegria Audio line? I've been eyeing the Exodus 2641, and if you're going to put the Ruby on the market I'll have more to think about.

Thanks.
The "Ruby" model that you see there is in my old Kit 281 cabinet which is nice but for a commercial offering it's a bit too tall. There will be something coming out commercially called Ruby but in a slightly different cabinet.
The Extremis woofers roll off around 250Hz with a 2nd order XO and the WR125S runs all the way up to about 12K where it crosses to the FT207D with a 1st order XO. Having the WR125S in a sealed box gives me natural LF roll-off and it's natural HF roll off allows me to use a very simple XO.

Timn8ter said:
Thanks.
The "Ruby" model that you see there is in my old Kit 281 cabinet which is nice but for a commercial offering it's a bit too tall. There will be something coming out commercially called Ruby but in a slightly different cabinet.
The Extremis woofers roll off around 250Hz with a 2nd order XO and the WR125S runs all the way up to about 12K where it crosses to the FT207D with a 1st order XO. Having the WR125S in a sealed box gives me natural LF roll-off and it's natural HF roll off allows me to use a very simple XO.

Are you planning on making any big bookshelf speakers incorporating the extremis?

rnp614 said:

Are you planning on making any big bookshelf speakers incorporating the extremis?

Yes. Feel free to email me if you like.

Cal Weldon said:
I know I get accused of liking a big sound (read PA) but I must say that little dual Extremis unit of Tim's sure held it's own.

Thanks Cal. I think we ran into a bit of an "oops" at Dave's. It was assumed that the Ruby was a 4 ohm nominal unit but due to the nature of the Extremis driver I've always ran it on my 8 ohm taps. That and if you want high SPL in a large room you need more power than what we were feeding it.
My goal wasn't to have "big" sound, but rather "all" of the sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.