New to DIY - F5 Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
LOL... Those particular transformers...

I have built a standard F5 with a AN6218, and another with an AS4218.

In that circuit they measure practically the same, and noise is basically equal between the two. Would I pay the extra for the shield again? Yes, certainly. I've got at least one more Pass amp to build, and it will use a AS4218.

But in the F5T, you might just want the extra VA of the bigger one.

Maybe overkill, but I used a pair of as4218 transformers for my f5.

Why not build with the thermistors at first and then when you want to tinker you could try the soft start board.

As for DC protection, it's only the woofers that are at risk, and I didn't concidering it worth worrying about. It's been about one year that my f5 has been used almost every day, and so far so good.

Happy hunting, Evan

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Why not build with the thermistors at first and then when you want to tinker you could try the soft start board.

As for DC protection, it's only the woofers that are at risk, and I didn't concidering it worth worrying about. It's been about one year that my f5 has been used almost every day, and so far so good.

I agree 100%.

Get the circuit working in the 'stock' configuration.

Then play with a soft start.

DC protection can also be tinkered with later. (Or ignored...) :) :) :)

Thanks for the responses. I'm reassured that either AS-4218 or AN-6218 would be fine. Since this will be a stock F5, I might just go for the AS-4218 for the shielding, smaller size, and ability to use the steel shield.. Then again....

Just heard back from the diyaudio store and unfortunately it seems like "pre-ordering" is not available. When they finally DO stock these chassis, they may very well be out of stock before I get a chance to order one..

Will do, evanc, concerning the thermistors. However, I'm just trying to see if there's any scientific reason why a DC protection board/soft start board would degrade the sound quality if implemented correctly (I've also always been a superficial fan of relays clicking into position). But yes, I agree it's best to worry about getting the original circuit working first :)

I grappled with the idea of dual mono. Are there any sonic advantages to be had? (sorry to move onto a new topic)

EDIT: Realize this might go too far off-topic. I've heard that technically it may reduce "cross-talk" and from a theoretical point of view, deliver cleaner power to each channel. Not sure if it's worth the added expense, time and effort though :) At least for me

Last edited:
............I do like the idea of a Soft Start/DC protection board, .................... It appears that the Soft Start would be limited by a relay, ............
soft start to allow close rating of the mains fuse is quite different and separate from speaker protection.

The soft start is a resistor added into the primary circuit of the mains transformer. The relay or some other device is there to stop the resistor overheating and blowing up.

The speaker protection is a relay or other device that prevents the amplifier sending excessive current to the speaker during a fault condition.

soft start to allow close rating of the mains fuse is quite different and separate from speaker protection.

The soft start is a resistor added into the primary circuit of the mains transformer. The relay or some other device is there to stop the resistor overheating and blowing up.

The speaker protection is a relay or other device that prevents the amplifier sending excessive current to the speaker during a fault condition.

Thanks for this clarification. I should have worded my paragraph a little better to demonstrate I was talking about two different things :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.