New to DACs; After Some Research, is Texas Instruments PCM1794 the best DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the RAKK DAC (Mark I) using the transformer output stage. A but pricey I admit, but I'm like what I'm hearing so far - I bought the older version a few months ago and only recently grudgingly spent the change to get the output stage.

K&K just came out with a new version (Mark II) that has upsampling using the TI/Burr-Brown SRC4192. They also apparently redesigned the power supply. I suppose one could just buy the DAC board and make your own power supply and output stage.

Bernhard: Yes, the digital filter in the 1794 both oversamples 8x and converts 16 bit signals to 24 bit, as the DAC itself works at 24 bit. I'm not sure how good that filter is, is all. In applications where you have an external upsampler, you'll most likely bypass the whole input filter, and feed the DAC segment directly. But this is a bit further than I've studied closely, since I decided to skip external upsampling.

I'll use the opamp output stage suggested by TI for now, using LME49710 opamps (single version of LM4562), but I'm leaving room for upgrading to ZAPfilter or whatever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.