New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think with T5 you are nearly speaking about T3 amp set which alreday exists in hifimediy's shop ;)
well... yes and no ;) T3 is mono. The noise issue when multiple T3 are are used with single SMPS is still not cleared. Require one smps per T3 board is a serious roadblock imho.

There is room for a high performance stereo board for 4 ohm speakers, easier to implement than T3. 517B has the same better damping factor as 510A and more power, which makes it the ultimate choice even if used at lower level.
Hifimediy T amp range would become : Easy access T1/T2 , high-end T4/T5.

BTW : T3 output filter is based on ST design, whereas T1/T2 use the Tripath design. Anyone knows which output filter is used on T4 ?

The noise issue when multiple T3 are are used with single SMPS is still not cleared.
Yes this seems still to be present. If am not wrong this issue is also valid when using single torroidal. But the price per watt ratio is excellent. I am curious if someone built 2 independent monoblocks in the past. 300 Watts each channel would kick the A S S of every hard to drive speaker:D

Indeed. Is this fixed in the T4 version? Can you run multiple amps on same PSU without hum/interference?
I made a quick test with a T4 using a torroidal and noticed a light hum. I have to make another test with another CD Player because I am not sure if this hum is amp depended or possibly RCA connectors depended. Most users did not notice any hum.
The T4 is a stereo board. Would this not make some trouble on the speakers output when using it like a monoblock ?
Beside that, you will need in this case at least one 900 W torroidal.

Hi,

I'm updating some stuff from my post on the T1 ALPS T2 4700uf T2 10000uf battle -off post.

I will be switching out my T2 10000uf (black cap) model that has the sound I don't really like, with the Nichicon 4700uf cap!! (link below). This cap sounds so sweet! I'm so glad I was able to google it and find a good seller. So now I will have two, hmmmm...

The T1 ALPS is sounding better, very good in fact, and moved into 2nd place in the battle-off. I think with more break-in it will be a keeper!!! I like the sound a lot. But .... I just plugged back in the T2 4700 and right away, a more musical sweeter sound, and it's like you are so much more enveloped in the music, yes, (like a TA2020 chip amp).. wow, only better. I love this amp.

ALSO, I did some checking and the new Nichicon KG 10000uf Model on the (Hifimediy website) does have the gold stripe. I will be buying one of those soon. So that will be very interesting to check that model out.

To all of you who haven't heard the T2 with the 4700 here is the link to grab one and pop it in your T2 if you got the 10000uf black cap (like I did). Because I will tell you This cap is amazing!!

I just have to not mess up the board when I take it out and put in the new cap, then I will have two T2 4700UF amps and that could be very interesting.

Have a great weekend!

Nichicon Capacitor KG Gold Tune type i 4700uF 50V [KG Gold Tune type i 4700uF 50V] - US$6.00 : headfishop.com

I made a quick test with a T4 using a torroidal and noticed a light hum. I have to make another test with another CD Player because I am not sure if this hum is amp depended or possibly RCA connectors depended. Most users did not notice any hum.
The T4 is a stereo board. Would this not make some trouble on the speakers output when using it like a monoblock ?
Beside that, you will need in this case at least one 900 W torroidal.
Hi, do you mean 50/60Hz noise?
And I suggest using a short input signal wire to prevent this noise.:)

I have a question about the 2 wima 2.2uf filter capacitors.

My friends has 2 Jantzen Superior 4.7uF 800v that he's not using anymore. Can I put those 2 monsters on my T4 board instead of the wima?

Is there any problem using 4.7uF instead of 2.2uF?

4.7uF will be ok for T4. It's worth to try in my opinion if you can deal with solder work. And T4 has some free pads can be used for input caps.

well... yes and no ;) T3 is mono. The noise issue when multiple T3 are are used with single SMPS is still not cleared. Require one smps per T3 board is a serious roadblock imho.

There is room for a high performance stereo board for 4 ohm speakers, easier to implement than T3. 517B has the same better damping factor as 510A and more power, which makes it the ultimate choice even if used at lower level.
Hifimediy T amp range would become : Easy access T1/T2 , high-end T4/T5.

BTW : T3 output filter is based on ST design, whereas T1/T2 use the Tripath design. Anyone knows which output filter is used on T4 ?

In my test, 2x T3 can work under 1 SMPS with very light noise. If your T3 still have the bead(B1) on board, I suggest replace it with a wire short. also I suggest remove c10 on the bottom side.
By the way, I actually have new board on the way, it's called T3_V2, which is stereo version of T3, and the board build the PSU and protection circuit in. So it's big board 175*122mm:D I will post it when I get the PCB.

Ok thanks, I go home in two weeks, so it will take some time.

For the link try this in UK :

(MLPI-130) - 33000uF 40Vdc MLytic AG Electrolytic Caps Hifi Collective

Hi AlexScan,

What is your reasoning behind the 33000uF vs using an equivalent 4700uF or 10000uF. I have a few T2's and am looking to try an upgrade cap as I believe mine have the Novel 10000uF.

You guys think the Nichicon Gold and Mundorf AG are near equal or is the Mundorf worth double the money? And how about an interim value like 6800uF. Is there a way to calculate the best match to each SMPS, as I use 110,000hz Japanese SMPS's with my T2's, or do you just have to buy and try.

Thanks

In my test, 2x T3 can work under 1 SMPS with very light noise. If your T3 still have the bead(B1) on board, I suggest replace it with a wire short. also I suggest remove c10 on the bottom side.
By the way, I actually have new board on the way, it's called T3_V2, which is stereo version of T3, and the board build the PSU and protection circuit in. So it's big board 175*122mm:D I will post it when I get the PCB.

Good news on the new T3. Any plan for changes to the TA3020, or are you going to run a new batch of the old design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.