New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Will this Trafo work with T4?

1 KVA
Primaries: 115/230V 50/60Hz
Secondaries: 0-16V 1A, 13V-0-13V 1A, x2 40V 12A

It is just sitting around right now and I would like to put it to use.

If you're up to unwinding the 40V secondaries down to say 35V, it could power two, three, four T4's :) Given that the maximum reasonable voltage of the T4 is around 50VDC.

There are Tripath amps that can take up to 70V rails. Not sure who builds implementations. Not sure that would be worth pursuing in this regard though.

fellow Houstonian, that transformer won't work with most amps.

Udailey,

Nice kits. Cool to know some people in Houston are enjoying themselves with DIY audio. I've just recently finished my audio room and built my speakers. They are 90.5 db efficient and I noticed I don't need a lot of power. I have a push/pull 6550 tube amp that is just barely running to power them. I know some of the TA3020 kits out there will play nice with this Trafo so I think I will end up heading down that path. Thanks for the post.

Would one of your light attenuators work off the secondaries? That might make a cool integrated?

Thanks for your post.
Robert

Udailey,

Nice kits. Cool to know some people in Houston are enjoying themselves with DIY audio. I've just recently finished my audio room and built my speakers. They are 90.5 db efficient and I noticed I don't need a lot of power. I have a push/pull 6550 tube amp that is just barely running to power them. I know some of the TA3020 kits out there will play nice with this Trafo so I think I will end up heading down that path. Thanks for the post.

Would one of your light attenuators work off the secondaries? That might make a cool integrated?

Thanks for your post.
Robert
There's a few of us DIYers in Houston. Several more in Austin. Will be putting together a DIY get together in Austin this spring if you are interested. Before that though, if you want to try the kit with your amps just shoot me a PM and we can meet up sometime. You might have to regulate the output of your transformer as the kits only need about 18V.
Uriah

New products coming

I am waiting for the T4, myself. If you are a hifimediy fan (like me) go check out the website, Nick just posted some new product announcements for stuff coming up in the next few months. A Class AB board and several DACs as well as the T4 and an audio control. Far freakin' out!

well, just got my Hifimediy TK2050 80W + Meanwell. Made first listening test with a pair of Madison's recession buster reference kit designed by Jed from clearwave loudspeakers. May be it's a bit unfair to try this little amp with such low SPL loudspeakers (82 dB), although this amp will go with a Seas Embla kit which I'm building yet. Also i must say that it has been playing for an hour.
The sound is good. Compared to the 25W DIY mosfet amp I use with my main hifi set, the TK2050 sound a bit weak, not so intense, and a bit boomy bass. I must insist that the loudspeakers have very very low spl, with 5'5" Scan speaks revelators, which I have them with a 50W diy mosfet amp. The 25W amp sounds more intense than the TK2050, so may be for these kind of spaekers I need a hifimediy T3 amp. Is wattage measurement diferent in class d amps? Does this amp need burning? still is just a first impression and comparison with my actual hifi set. This amp will go with the other loudspeakers.

I bet you it can sound as intense as you like when you optimise the unit. Proper gain, proper feedback, proper current and voltage sensing to match with that, the right output filter values to match the impedance....

But that takes some studying of the datasheet and application notes....

I just received my T1 board with STA510A chip and hooked it up to the new single-voltage Connex power supply (SMPS500R). See the pic below for a size comparison. I've been running them together for the past twenty-four hours and the results are fantastic.

FYI - the case is a HLLY chassis with the front plate painted black. It's a perfect fit for Hifimediy's T1 and T2 amps, with the volume knob and power switch in exactly the right place.

Attachments

• Amp Case Open.jpg
    Amp Case Open.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 734
  • Amp Case.jpg
    Amp Case.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 690
I just received my T1 board with STA510A chip and hooked it up to the new single-voltage Connex power supply (SMPS500R). See the pic below for a size comparison. I've been running them together for the past twenty-four hours and the results are fantastic.

FYI - the case is a HLLY chassis with the front plate painted black. It's a perfect fit for Hifimediy's T1 and T2 amps, with the volume knob and power switch in exactly the right place.

That looks great! Did he go with the WIMA MKP10 input capacitors for this board? At least that is what those red squares appear to be. Nice.

I have been using the T2 with a Connex SMPS250 that I modified. I have it installed in a 1RU case and have been using it to power a pair of party speakers. When in use It's usually playing flat out for hours. Both the amp module and the SMPS seem to handle it well. It's a killer combo! I just wish the modules had a clip light.

col.

Very nice! I have my T2 and Meanwell in a Kleenex-tissue box from the local craft store, and although they are happy it lacks in professionalism! I need to get off my lazy butt and do something like you did.

I've just built the T3 and must say it has exceeded my expectations, high as it already was. This is after a fix was found to resolve a hiss problem with the latest batch of modules.

My question: does anyone know the operating temp limit inside the chassis for a Tripath? The Meanwell fan is specd to come on at 55 deg C. In normal use the temp inside my monoblock is 37 deg C (ambient 28 deg). Just wondering how high it can go before things get dicey.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.