New TK2050 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you mean distortion or is it a hiss when you say that you hear it standing right beside the speakers. What does the voltage measure at the amp's power connection?

It sounds like an overdriven sound for sure,
and it is also very in your face harsh on the top end
when I put 2020 Charlize back in I hear none of this
super smooth and super clean,I am thinking
maybe I just have a faulty unit,
are any of you guys hearing the same thing
on the top end with it being way out front.

Regards,
Scott

Overdriven

It sounds like an overdriven sound for sure,
and it is also very in your face harsh on the top end
when I put 2020 Charlize back in I hear none of this
super smooth and super clean,I am thinking
maybe I just have a faulty unit,
are any of you guys hearing the same thing
on the top end with it being way out front.

Regards,
Scott
It shouldn't sound overdriven. Something is wrong for sure. What does the voltage measure at the amp's power input? What does it measure across the speaker terminals?

I have the v2 2050 amp. Tweaked up the input caps with 2.7uF MK caps and run it off pair of SLA batteries. Sounds great ! However, I got the urge to remove the pot, and solder the source cable straight onto the tags on the top side of the board. Somehow, I have now converted it into a mono amp ! Still sounds good, just no stereo, have double-checked wiring and soldering - all looks OK and no shorts anywhere. Anyone any ideas ??

I have the v2 2050 amp. Tweaked up the input caps with 2.7uF MK caps and run it off pair of SLA batteries. Sounds great ! However, I got the urge to remove the pot, and solder the source cable straight onto the tags on the top side of the board. Somehow, I have now converted it into a mono amp ! Still sounds good, just no stereo, have double-checked wiring and soldering - all looks OK and no shorts anywhere. Anyone any ideas ??

A picture could help. where did you connect the input cable?

Hi Nick - looking down on the top of the board - with the pot removed there are 9 solder tags - I have the right input wired to the middle tag at the front of the board - left channel wired to the middle tag furthest from the front - nothing at all connected into the middle 3 tags. GND cables commoned and connected to the point next to the 2 blue dc offset adjustment points. Any ideas ??? Thanks

Hi Nick - looking down on the top of the board - with the pot removed there are 9 solder tags - I have the right input wired to the middle tag at the front of the board - left channel wired to the middle tag furthest from the front - nothing at all connected into the middle 3 tags. GND cables commoned and connected to the point next to the 2 blue dc offset adjustment points. Any ideas ??? Thanks

I guess this is v1 board. on v2 board input is on right tag (looking from underside with pot pointing towards me). Don't have v1 here to check. are you sure input is on middle tag?

Hi, after removed the pot, you'd better check that if the plated holes are damged or not. or you can try solder the cable on the bottom side of board(directly to the input capacitors' pins), good luck.

Hi All,

I've bought a 4x TK2050 for an outdoor portable/battery powered speaker project for street parties and festivals. It basically just needs to be loud enough to instigate a spontaneous outdoor dance party, efficient/good battery life and as bassy as possible with very little concern for hi-fi quality in this case. I have a 12" speaker from a 60w fender bass amp (don't think it's particularly efficient) and a bunch of other random assorted speakers I plan on using. I currently have a 12v 80ah battery which I'd like to use if possible, but I'll consider investing in something else if need be.

I'll admit I'm a bit of an amateur, but I'm scratching my head about a few things... and I'm unsure as to what the best parts to buy would be from here on...

Firstly, since this is the 4 channel version, would it effect power consumption if I left 2 channels unused?? what sort of idle power consumption could I expect from unused channels on this amp?

Also..

- what sort of power output could I expect running this on 12v? Is the difference between 12 and 24 really that dramatic with this amp?

- If I did need 24v, is it essential to pair my existing battery with an identical one? or could I get away with using another random 12v battery with similar specs?

- If identical batteries are recommended... what sort of battery life could be achieved with 2x of those cheap 12v 7.5AH batteries running in parallel to produce 24v? Are these adequate in terms of amperage or should I look for something better?

- would it be possible to extend battery life by connecting 2x 12v solar panels... if so, what would the ideal output of the solar panels be?

- will this amp handle assorted speakers of different impedence on different channels?

- Could I use the amp while charging the batteries from AC using a regulated battery charger? would this substitute as an AC power supply or is this damaging to the batteries?

Wrong thread

Hi All,

I've bought a 4x TK2050 for an outdoor portable/battery powered speaker project for street parties and festivals. It basically just needs to be loud enough to instigate a spontaneous outdoor dance party, efficient/good battery life and as bassy as possible with very little concern for hi-fi quality in this case. I have a 12" speaker from a 60w fender bass amp (don't think it's particularly efficient) and a bunch of other random assorted speakers I plan on using. I currently have a 12v 80ah battery which I'd like to use if possible, but I'll consider investing in something else if need be.

I'll admit I'm a bit of an amateur, but I'm scratching my head about a few things... and I'm unsure as to what the best parts to buy would be from here on...

Firstly, since this is the 4 channel version, would it effect power consumption if I left 2 channels unused?? what sort of idle power consumption could I expect from unused channels on this amp?

Also..

- what sort of power output could I expect running this on 12v? Is the difference between 12 and 24 really that dramatic with this amp?

- If I did need 24v, is it essential to pair my existing battery with an identical one? or could I get away with using another random 12v battery with similar specs?

- If identical batteries are recommended... what sort of battery life could be achieved with 2x of those cheap 12v 7.5AH batteries running in parallel to produce 24v? Are these adequate in terms of amperage or should I look for something better?

- would it be possible to extend battery life by connecting 2x 12v solar panels... if so, what would the ideal output of the solar panels be?

- will this amp handle assorted speakers of different impedence on different channels?

- Could I use the amp while charging the batteries from AC using a regulated battery charger? would this substitute as an AC power supply or is this damaging to the batteries?

You may want to ask your question here. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...ath-board-4-100w-class-d-amplifier-board.html

Hi hifimediy,

I have some questions about your amps. First, when will the v1.1b schematics be available ? I would like to know what's the exact differences between this amp and the v2. Is it "only" the stereo full bridge versus single BTL configuration for the STA50x like shown in the datasheet ? Or is there something else different, too ?

Second, did you consider making an amp with STA510A as power amplifier ? This chip is the only one from the STA5xx series to have a 150mOhm typical RdsON (vs 200mOhm for the others; hence the A suffix ?). It would quite enhance the damping factor, I think.

Thanks.

Hi hifimediy,

I have some questions about your amps. First, when will the v1.1b schematics be available ? I would like to know what's the exact differences between this amp and the v2. Is it "only" the stereo full bridge versus single BTL configuration for the STA50x like shown in the datasheet ? Or is there something else different, too ?

Second, did you consider making an amp with STA510A as power amplifier ? This chip is the only one from the STA5xx series to have a 150mOhm typical RdsON (vs 200mOhm for the others; hence the A suffix ?). It would quite enhance the damping factor, I think.

Thanks.

Hi benoar.
Generally, you're right about the difference between v1 and v2.
And actually we can accept special order of v1, solder sta510A chip on it. You can contact Nick for detail.

Hi, after removed the pot, you'd better check that if the plated holes are damged or not. or you can try solder the cable on the bottom side of board(directly to the input capacitors' pins), good luck.

Good and bad news ! Soldered cables straight to caps - sounds better than ever - clarity is superb. However...still not operating in stereo ! I have used various other bits of kit to verify it actualy IS the amp...I am a bit stumped. I suppose I could always buy another amp and run as mono bi-amps ! Anything else I could try ????Thanks

Good and bad news ! Soldered cables straight to caps - sounds better than ever - clarity is superb. However...still not operating in stereo ! I have used various other bits of kit to verify it actualy IS the amp...I am a bit stumped. I suppose I could always buy another amp and run as mono bi-amps ! Anything else I could try ????Thanks

Did you remove the pot completely? maybe some wire or something connects the channels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.