New TI digital input audio amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody seen these new 20 Watt digital Input audio amplifiers from TI - free samples at the moment.

24 bit resolution, up to 200 kHz sampling and I2S digital input.
I'm not an expert but THD looks reasonable only up to about 6 Watts.

Samples oredred - I was wondering about running these from USB to I2S Pcm2707 chip.

Any opinions?

John

Jkeny - from a quick look at the datasheet, the THD vs power charts reflect a 12V supply, not an 18V supply. Still, you won't get 20 clean watts out of this into 8 ohms even with an 18V supply.

It's somewhat interesting that they didn't build this on their Equibit technology, but seem to be using a more conventional DAC+analog-input modulator. FWIW the Equibit stuff runs quite nicely off battery power as well, although it's obviously a more complex solution with separate modulator/driver/mosfets.

That's why I like this chips possibility - simplicity.

It also gives the potential to try USB to I2S(PCM2707) to TI amp(TPA3200D1) directly with a simple pathway and 24kHz/192k

I know there is a lot of talk on this and other forums about the jitter of USB - technically it seems to have more but different spectrum of jitter than SPDIF - but concensus(?) seems to suggest that USB sounds better. Nobody disputes the superiority of I2S or do they? Anyway this avoides the use of external DAC and all the possibilities for error in implementation (DAC type, I/V stage, etc). It depends on how good the internal DAC is.

Only element missing is the ability to go non-oversampling. If it had this I'm sure we would all be dooling with anticipation.

If it gives the performance of a tripath with direct digital input I think it could be a candidate for next "chip of the month" - just wonder how it sounds?

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.