New Thread. My DIY turntable plan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a feeling that Cryo treating acrylic will do more harm than good.

Acrylic should be "normalized" to releive it from tensions from casting and machining...
According to a friend of mine, a retired mechanical top wizard, this means heating to appx. 75 deg. C and an extremely slow cooling process, 1-2 deg / hr. !! The slower the better......

Talked to Blue Note

I got an answer from BlueNote last week about Cryogenics. They say that if the part is milled then there will be no benefit. But if its casted or whatever. You will definately see a large improvement in performance and life expentacy. Their tonearms are all milled from solid brass and aluminum. So they say it wouldn't be worth it. But the teres bearing might be a differant matter.

LiveMusic how is your platter coming along? Im curious to know how you end of the project is coming along. Me personally am still waiting on my income tax returns.

Re: Talked to Blue Note

StylinLP said:
LiveMusic how is your platter coming along? Im curious to know how you end of the project is coming along. Me personally am still waiting on my income tax returns.

Hi folks,
Stylin, I am also simply ran out of funds: I grab ocasionally Lancelot Camelot phono stage at half of price (second hand). Guys, it worth! Black background, much more details, relaxed sound - wonderful! So I have to wait a little before I can get Teres bearing and motor. In the meantime, I proceed with the platter. One problem raised: how to glue perspex to aluminium?
I've tryed epoxy and cianoacrylat - well sealed connection, but not robust enough. Apparently I should go for combined connection: glue+bolts.
Any suggestions?

Bolts

I myself am short on funds too, hehe. THe woodworker want $200 to make that Cocobolo plynth. The bearing is $220. The motor is $300. The Tonearm is $300. Hopefully my machinist has all the platter materials. So thats over $1000 and I still need to order Bottlehead Seduction phono stage for $225.

I'm just going to stick to bolting the 1" Aluminum layer to the 2" PVC layer from the bottom. Its ther simplest way that my machinist will agree to machine.

Arm pillars

Hi all,
wonderful thread. (I hope) I've learned a lot in how-to improve my Alu (guess already filled) platter. Shortly with three small cones, very close to the platter rim, sustaining a 1" PVC top platter (would PVC Hartschaum, Rundscheibe weiss be fine?).

About the arm pillar, my arm rest on a thin Alu plate screwed to the plinth. But the arm is not fixed, its base (threaded bottom rod) has got a lot of addictive weight (grey tack and shot leads) - of course wires are gone, I've rewired it externally - and the arm simply rests on the arm base (Alu, i said).

1) Ideas/comments?
2) Have you go any advice for building a good arm pillar and support?

Many thanks,

Stefano

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.