New subwoofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
postman

I just noticed you are located in Austraila. In the states,
there are ruffly 130 Crown amps, available on Ebay on
a weekly basis.

Speaking of Crown amps, have you guys seen the new
I Tech Series?

4, 6, and, 8000 watt amplifiers housed in a 2 rack chassis,
weighing 28 pounds.

I know most of you will say, That's Too Much Power For
The Home. But, for you Sound Reinforcement guys, its
awesome.

crown amps

Both the ce1000 and the 602 amps are made as slave amps for sound systems, they are primarily centered towards mobile DJ's, and they are pretty sturdy amps for that purpose. I have a dozen or so amplifiers as I run a DJ business
Having built a number of amps myself (I have a degree in electronics engineering), for what you buy these 2 models for ($300 to $350 new on ebay US$) its a steal.

Ive never understood why the hell people pay thousands upon thousands for home systems, I dont care what the hell anyone says, you get to a certain point and your ear can no longer distinguish the difference.
People, please dont give me any crap by saying you can, Ive ran tests in a lab. Scopes are one thing, (but we dont have oscilloscopes in our ears, anyone who spends thousands upon thousands for a home theater, is off their trolly)

However, Some good advice on this thread:) it is a matter of preference, but in reality, if you are not really going to be taking advantage of the power, you could even look at the 202 or 402.
Peavey, Teac and AMC also offer good amps at a good price.

Iif Youre looking for the best reliability you need a mosfet amp, I also would recommend an amp with a torroidal transformer (Circular). If you want the best sound possible, NOTHING I mean NOTHING can beat the valve.

You'll want a plate amplifier. None of the pro audio rack amplifiers have built-in adjustable crossovers like a plate amp will. Take a look at the ADA1200 from Adire. It should give you what you are wanting in terms of power, plus the features you need for a powered subwoofer, but for a pretty penny. There are so few good, inexpensive plate amps. the Parts Express 500W and 1000W plate amps do not have a defeatable rumble filter, which makes them a no-go for very serious subwoofers. If one were to build an EBS sonotube subwoofer, they would need to be able to defeat the rumble filter so they could get low bass extension.

Personally I use a Crown K2 for my sub and a Acurus A250 for my front right & left. I couldn't be happier with the performance from both amps and I bought them both used about 5-6 years ago. My only gripe is I don't have auto turn on for either amp like you would get with a plate amp. It would be nice if when I turned on my reciever both amps had a delayed power up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.