New study on loudspeaker placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted to give the "test" a try, but I'm in the process of moving out, so this is the best I can do. There's too much reflected sound going on here, so there's no great localization to start with when it comes to things like pink noise or mono complex music - just a big fuzzy cloud.

What I can report is this:
- In general, the pink noise pretty much holds in a fuzzy centered location. As I move beyond the area between the speakers, it eventually starts to collapse to the opposite side speaker as the direct sound from the near speaker becomes negligible.
- I did find an small area in front of the right speaker where I could stand and the sound would collapse into that speaker. I am guessing it's no coincidence that this was around where the side and floor first reflections are equal distance. The left speaker has more room on the side here, and I didn't find any such spot on that side.

P.S. The insulation is there because these speakers are supposed to have grill assemblies with absorption to knock down the edge diffraction.

Attachments

• PANO_20130314_171617.jpg
    PANO_20130314_171617.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Rudolf - my impression is that there is some compression of the stage width as one move laterally and that the center of this image moves slightly with the location.
That's what I experience rudimentary with my dipoles. But with -1dB at 30°, -3dB at 45° and -6dB at 60° the dipoles don't roll off soon enough to the side to profit much from "your" effect.
There have been quite full-bodied claims in the Orion Behringer thread that people got good imaging while standing in the speaker plane ... that made me nervous. :rolleyes:

Thanks Art -now Markus can't complain anymore that we are ignoring him:)

As with all things, I am motivated to the theory and the mathematics and look to that as a handle on what will happen. I am not much for "listening tests" because they generally haven't worked out too well for me I guess.

Rudolf - my impression is that there is some compression of the stage width as one move laterally and that the center of this image moves slightly with the location. As above, I don't know how to represent this mathematically so I used the best that I could find which was the Blauert curves.
You and Markus are welcome!

My impression agrees with your response to Rudolf.
One other impression, probably due to the corner (almost soffit) mounting of my main speakers was the frequency range from around 125-250 actually seemed more "locatable" than the upper range.

That is, even well off to one side or the other, that octave appeared to come from either side rather than a phantom image in front of me.

Another detail, there is a door on each side opposite the speakers, and they were open to the rest of the house during the listening test, they are usually open unless the room is being used for recording.

Art

Wow it is surprising how fast these threads move back when they are dormant.

The reason that I have revived this one is that I have now posted the software (with a few remaining bugs). (You can use the link below and then go to "loudspeakers". Half way down is a link called "Room Response".) As with Polar_Map, it may or may not work for you. Web App is a Microsoft Wizard and if it does not work there is nothing that I can do because I did not write the wizard. It does work for me and many others, but it does not work for many others. One issue that I know is that the data files use a decimal point and not a comma as is common in the EU. This will cause the data to be misread and a likely crash if you try and run the software in a region that uses a comma as a decimal point. Changing the region on the computer often solves the problem. Microsoft .Net 3.5 is required and will be installed if you do not have it, but this may take some time. Once .Net is installed running the app is very fast.

Last edited:
Markus

Thanks, I found this error myself when I tried my laptop. I need to get the software to point to the web file locations and not my local files. This is easy for the data files, not so obvious for the bitmap. I am not sure how to embed that. So the second error will go away shortly, but the first one might take some time.

I'll post here when I get this corrected.

Earl,

When moving the listener around and looking at the frequency response window there's no case where frequency response for the opposite speaker would be higher than the closer speaker unless the listening position is very far away :confused:

P.S. Error when selecting "Piston"

Last edited:
Markus

Thats not true at mid-high frequencies for an Abbey12c(a) at 48 degrees and about 1 meter off the wall. There is a reversal of the amplitude function over a fairly broad range. It is true that almost no other speaker does this, I agree.

What is "very far away"? My setup is about 4-5 meters from the speaker plane. Is this "very far away"?

Yes, it works for me. With decimal comma I see some weired diagrams, but the program still starts and runs. With decimal point everything is ok. :)

Sadly Polar_Map still doesn't run on my PC. :eek:

Thats good to know because the two programs have very common classes and one failing while the other doesn't is odd. I'll have to look for differences between the two program codes - there aren't many.

Markus

Thats not true at mid-high frequencies for an Abbey12c(a) at 48 degrees and about 1 meter off the wall. There is a reversal of the amplitude function over a fairly broad range. It is true that almost no other speaker does this, I agree.

What is "very far away"? My setup is about 4-5 meters from the speaker plane. Is this "very far away"?

Smaller than 50°-60° opening angle.
Could you show a larger dB range in the frequency window? Some curves don't display within the availble ±9dB.

Hi, thanks for all your great input to the forum.

I thought I had the prerequisites so I just clicked 'launch' here:

Room Response

and got this error:
View attachment CASRXT6F.txt

So instead I clicked on 'run'

and got this error:
View attachment install error log.txt

I'm just a regular North American Win7 user but I am in Canada so ... ?

Let us know if you want to do specific testing.

Cheers,
Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.