New Open Baffle Dipole Pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Here goes.

I have not doen side-by-sides with any speaker, but from memory, I like the woofer better than the Seas W18. I think it has a much nicer sound to it than the W18.

I use the WO version, the one with the smaller magnet.

The active crossover starts as a ESP board, 4th order at 2200Hz. The equalization (Dipole EQ and notch filter) are done on a custom board. The Crossover to the woofer are also on a custom board.

-Paul Hilgeman

I use the WO version, the one with the smaller magnet.
The WO version has a smaller magnet than the WH ? However, the force factor of the WO is 6,2 and that of the WH is 5.5.
But we don't care : the WO has the better ratio Bl/Mms ! ;)

I think that the WO is better than the WH in a bass-reflex box : Qms is 5.87 (WO ) Vs 1.38 (WH)...

What do you think about the PL drivers ? (PL18WO09-08) It seems to me that the moving mass is a too high, but I never heard those drivers...

;)
Vincent

Either way, the mms is much lower than just about any midwoofer on the market. I think this contributes to the sound in a very positive way.
:)
Yes, the low Mms may contribute to the sound in a very positive way, but I think that speakers with low Mms are easier to drive than those with higher Mms, like 15 g...

For a Bass-Reflex box, I'll choose the WO. ;)

;)
Vincent

Hi,

PaulHilgeman, congrats on your speakers. I have had dipoles for a few years now, a Diatone fullrange with 10" woofers sub 300 Hz. Now they're up for a rebuild to apply what I've learned ;)

I was wondering about the Vifa drivers you used, and the comparison to Fostex. I might experiment with a 7" + tweeter instead of the Diatone, for more xmax and better dispersion in the highs (otherwise the Diatones are great, very natural and coherent). I once made small box speakers for my wife using the Radio Shack Fostex 103 clone and I really liked the texture of it. In fact we still use them as computer speakers.

Anyway, here in Singapore they only have the glass fiber cone version of your Vifa, the XG 18 WH00-08. Does anybody have info on that one (performance/sound quality)? Vince35, you asked the same question in post 20 but no answer. The specs of the glass fiber one look just as good, but efficiency is lower, and thinking of Fostex I rather lean towards the wood pulp version...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.