New Olive CD-to-Lossless Harddisk-based Audiophile Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wombat said:
This Olive player looks pretty much the same as the Hifidelio. I first was thinking about getting the Hifidelio but found some negative user reports out in the forums. One concern was the noisefloor of the internal HD.

I believe big-brand companies are more knowledgeable in handling issues of hi-fidelity audio reproduction, like noise floor and psychoacoustic study.

I've met an audiophile reviewer. His listening room is one of the "best" I've visited. It is designed to express any differences of audio components. Even a small difference can be detected, maybe also by trained ears, e.g. lifting the AC cord away from the floor affects the sonics, etc. This kind of listening test should be also conducted.

The ability to perceive is another thing. This means differences exist but many people can't hear them.

Audio tweaks are possible. Can Wi-Fi affect sonic quality ? Perhaps this can be shown in a listening test, not ABX type, but by trained ears and in "sensitive" systems.

My friend told me "It is good for you not to be able to hear these discernable differences. You're still *happy* with your system. Once you hear them, you'll always hear them. And you'll get mad particularly when you can't eliminate such annoying sounds."

I remember reading somewhere that engineers at McCormack suggest their systems must be left turn-on for two months in order to get the *maximum* sonic production capability. The amps can produce the best sounds. I think those engineers kept hearing changes every week until the 8th week. :D

I have a modified Squeezebox 2 (modded by bolder cables, www.boldercables.com). I have the "basic" upgraded power supply from Bolder Cables and the basic modifications. The modified Squeezebox 2 beats my Proceed PMDT (digital transport only) to my Ack Dack 2.0 DAC or to my Proceed AVP (and using the DACs in the AVP). And the Squeezebox beats it handily. If you go to www.audiocircles.com, you'll see reviews where modified Squeezeboxes beat out CD players that cost thousands of dollars. Plus, once you get used to the ability to hear any song in your collection at any time, without getting up and finding the CD, you can't go back to CDs.

ctviggen said:
you'll see reviews where modified Squeezeboxes beat out CD players that cost thousands of dollars. Plus, once you get used to the ability to hear any song in your collection at any time, without getting up and finding the CD, you can't go back to CDs.

Sound familiar. LP v.s. CD War ? Wait and see.

I wish to replace my thousands dollars CD player too :D

I hope this isn't deviating from the topic to much, but has anyone seen this before or attempted a project like it. http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/rundfunker/. It's a DIY linux based system that scans the WLAN for audio files. I think it would be interesting to do something like that, but utilize a dedicated hard drive and some sort of USB DAC.

Attachments

• rundfunker-0001.jpg
    rundfunker-0001.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 587
On the subject of Wi Fi and audio systems: I have seen and heard firsthand the problems these wireless transmitters can cause in an audio system. Vacuum tube amplifiers seem to be particularly susceptable. With no signal, a soft digital chime, overlaid with rythmic ticking, can be easily heard through the system. More than likely, this signal is being plucked from the air on our somewhat longer than normal interconnects, but the effect is not subtle, in any case. I know immediately if a cell phone is about to ring in the building, as the signal hits the main system several seconds before the phone actually rings.

I can imagine how bad a continuous RF signal would be for sound.

ezkcdude said:
Whether you have a SqueezeBox or wi-fi receiver is irrelevant, isn't it? If you're saying that the wi-fi signal itself is bad for the audio, well, you can't do much about except get rid of your wi-fi router or move to a desolate location where there is no RF.

I only need my router driving at low signal strengh to reach my Squeezebox. In my neighbourhood somebody seems to have another router that sends full power (dhcp open btw. :) )
You can´t resist on such things :(

jimbo1968 said:
The squeezebox also transmits though, and it is probably sitting in your hifi rack, or on top of your amplifier.

I wonder if the wifi transmit is disabled if you use the wired connection.

(I'm about to buy a squeezebox)

Yes it is. You can always buy a wired-only SB if you are worried about the efect of wireless signals on the sound of your system.

But, don't worry about it. If a low powered 2.4 GHz transmitter can affect the sound of your stereo equipment, you have some really, really, poorly designed/built equipment.

I_F

Charles Hansen said:
If you can't hear the effect of a low powered 2.4 GHz transmitter on your stereo equipment, you have a really, really poorly performing system/hearing.

is your intention to discourage people from purchasing ayre equipment or is that simply a side-effect?

bb (who is really happy with firstwatt, zu, and slim devices, because they all provide a level of customer attention seen almost nowhere else, in addition to their spectacular producs)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Charles Hansen said:
If you can't hear the effect of a low powered 2.4 GHz transmitter on your stereo equipment, you have a really, really poorly performing system/hearing.

From the evidence posted here, it would be equally as valid to posit that your system is particularly sensitive to RF interference. To know the true answer, we need to know exactly what you have done in your amps to eliminate RF, and compare this to other systems.

pm, that would be my question as well. I can certainly imagine an effect much as Charles describes if the shielding and RF overload properties were compromised in pursuit of some other engineering goal. Since I saw the claim that tube systems are particularly susceptible, and coincidently that's what I use, I'm most eager to try the experiment for myself.

The nice thing about it is that if the effect is one of those subtle things that only the Illuminati can hear, this is something trivially easy to test blind.

davidsrsb said:
Metal cases don't help at all if the signal couples in on cables.

Exactly so. This tends to pose a problem in practice.

The AC power cable is pretty difficult to shield, as the shielding would have to extend all the way back to the power plant, as well as to every single building connected to the line. Since that doesn't seem too realistic, another option would be to use batteries.

However, it becomes difficult to deal with the issue of loudspeakers. Goldmund used to use (they still may, I don't know) a large coaxial connector for their proprietary coaxial loudspeaker cables, and this could be helpful here. Their current loudspeakers have metal enclosures, but I don't know that they are grounded to the shield of the coaxial cable. Everyone else who uses loudspeakers (or headphones) is pretty much out of luck.

Or you could try turning of your wi-fi, cordless phone, and cellular phone off and see what happens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.