new morel MTM project: rantings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
and the corresponding impeadance measurement. Note the bump at around the same place as the anomaly in the above freq graph.

Tony.

Attachments

• imp_with_brace.gif
    imp_with_brace.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 198
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Okay.

I would just like to point out that the irregularities around 700 Hz due ot the brace is really only about + or - 1 dB. I suspect they look worse on the graph than sound. Still, it is better not to have them.

I think you are doing okay with this design. You eliminated one problem with the brace, and you seen to have gotten most of the predicted measurements correct.

Good luck with this MTM design. :)

By the way, what made you choose Morel?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
kelticwizard said:
Okay.

I think you are doing okay with this design. You eliminated one problem with the brace, and you seen to have gotten most of the predicted measurements correct.

Good luck with this MTM design. :)

By the way, what made you choose Morel?

Thanks Keltiwizard :)

It's a bit of a long story, but I guess the bottom line is the morels had all of the features that I thought I needed. I was originally looking at Focal, but got warned that the drivers I was looking at were pretty hard to tame.

I wanted something that could do double duty as Home theatre and music, that could handle lots of power (not that I ever listen loud anymore, but I guess it is ingrained in me from lots of burned voice coils in my uni days ;) )

I initially discounted the morels because I thought their sensitivity was too low, that was before I found out about MTM configs, then that problem seemed a little less important (though the budget certainly went up!)

From what specs I could find on the morels, they seemed to have pretty flat response curves with no nasty surprises, so I thought that would help with the crossover design.

So when it all boiled down the MW144's seemed to fit the bill nicely, they can happily sit relatively close to my TV, and a centre using them will also be fine (that's the other aspect, rightly or wrongly I wanted something that I could timbre match (i.e. use the same drivers) with a centre channel speaker at a later date when I get my HT act together :)

One other major factor I guess is that I found I could source the morels here in Aus. No international shipping required.

Finally the info on ldsg about morel drivers was the icing on the cake for me. The write-up says he hasn't has as much feedback but all that he has received was positive, some fanatically so :)

The tweeters are DMS37's. I was originally thinking of using MDT33's, but after talking to the distributor, and finding that if the DMS37 is flush mounted and the woofers surface mounted that they are time aligned (he had design input into the MDT37) I decided that that feature + the much lower cost made them quite an attractive alternative.

Oh and the other thing with this project, which you may not be aware of if you haven't seen some of my other posts, is that there is going to be a woofer in a separate cab (Vifa M26WR-09-08) sitting under each MTM (like a functional stand) with an active crossover around 300Hz.

The woofers are currently in my very shabby 3 ways, and some much better cabinets will be coming along for them too :)

Picture of said very dodgy 3ways that I've been listening to in various forms over the last 20 years attached (they began life as a two way with plessey 12P woofer and Plessey 5FX tweeter which really didn't deserve the name tweeter, more of a widerange since it was a 5" driver with a wizzer) I was given these speakers by someone who upgraded to something comercial. the only thing left of the originals is the box, which is arguably once of the worst bits!!!!!

Oh and I am planning on finishing these ones (ie not leaving them as raw MDF ;)

Tony.

Attachments

• morel speakers 021.jpg
    morel speakers 021.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 314
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.