New Markaudio Drivers

until someone publishes results of a double blind ABX test isolating that factor alone, I’d be inclined to think that you couldn’t possibly hear the difference.
What happens if you decide to move either of the speakers -or amp- and the hardwired cables are now too short?

Agree WRT to the abysmally low efficiency of most speaker systems promoted here that also have so much [euphonic] distortion that can mask any subtleties, so the various types of medium-high efficiency [HE, > ~92 dB] is where one ideally needs to do comparisons.

Cold weld [crimped] splices meet all the various UL, Nema, etc., specs that make them 'as one' with the wire, but the proper tool, die, barrels are generally too expensive for the casual DIYer, especially if multiple die sizes/types are required, though FWIW, silver soldered hand braided held up surprisingly well in some impromptu impedance/Megger comparison testing ages ago; plenty good enough in spark plug, extreme performance requirements of pro slot, RC car racing and mine and a couple of others [then] extreme HE audio systems: Hand Wire Splicing Technique | KnowYourParts

GM

Right, while connection losses certainly exist, until you're in the high efficiency realms it's pretty much a non-issue category so long as you've got something half decent, and most binding posts are good enough for that. If you want to splash out and don't mind the poor mechanical integrety, solid copper wouldn't hurt. Screwed down ring lugs do a good job. And on principle wire-wrap connections are excellent. They were good enough for wire-guided missile connections for e.g., so that's fine with me. Not the easiest to do though. ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A boat load of metal in them.

I prefer connections with very little metal. I have found that the cheap plastic nutted 5-way posts we use are evry bit as good (or better) than much more expensive all metal plugs… some solid copper WBT we tried were terrible.

Look for plugs with little metal, the ultimate expression being the WBT nextGen and probably the ETI ones. The WBT are too fat to use with industry standard 3/4” spacing.

dave

Octavia - if you mean binding posts / cups:
Surface mount
Parts Express Gold Plated Banana 5-Way Speaker Wire Binding Post Terminal
Recessed cups:
McBride TC14 - Terminal Cup

This is the one that Dave buys in bulk - they need only a 2” through hole, but they definitely are tight for space if you’re wanting to use bare wire or spades and need to tighten by hand - for that a nut driver works like a charm. Of course with banana plugs, that’s not an issue.
Parts Express has lots of recessed cups for both single and bi-wire configuration, but for some reason none in this particular size with plastic nuts. They also have a fair number of spring-loaded types, but I’ve never cared for those.

Thanx everybody! For know I orderd the jantzen posts at Stefan. I found some solid copper ones, but red copper is rubish... Stefan told me. Van der Steen and troels Gravensen prefer very simple plastic boxes as well. Just a screw and very little iron material. Jantzen now supplies them gold plated. They are the plastic rectengulars with just a screw.

For a while I have been designing an ultra slim Cardas inspired binding post, ultra slim silver (or copper) connectors, and using some nice machine screws to crank up the pressure. I may try to integrate them into the next pair of speakers.

I like those Jantzen ones, but seeing as they cost half of a single Alpair 7, I feel there must be a better and cheaper semi-pro/diy approach.

Back to the drivers in this Mark Audio thread.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx Chris. Nice to see a retailer is carrying those cups.

770-008.jpg

We wanted minimal metal, they needed to impact the back stiffness as little as possibble (why we chose a small diameter), they need to be recessed so that they do not get bent over in a handling accident, and they needed to be affordable. That the cheap ones sounded at least as good as many more expensive ones.

There is a version of the Neutrick connectors that have plastic rather than metal jackets. mctavish, you should try those.

dave

After trying almost everything i have stuck with Neutrik connectors. Simply the best I have used. Very well-built, easy to use, great connections, and when all of your gear has them, switching components is a breeze....:)

I like the Speakon connectors as well. Anyone who has ever setup and torn down a pro audio install will bless Neutrik for inventing them. So quick and easy to deal with. The newer STX series has a sturdier metal casing and the current rating is 40amps continuous. They have upgraded them over the years to keep up with the crazy power output you can now get with ClassD pro power amps. You only need to drill 1 moderate sized hole in a speaker cabinet which makes for easy install. The main issue with them is that they are not the standard in the HiFI industry. The pro audio industry uses them extensively so you know they are tough and reliable. As far as metal goes they have way less than the typical binding post. They don’t have the big honking bolt type through the cabinet mounting studs that you typically see on binding posts. Those big mounting studs do lead to very low series resistance though.
All these connectors seem like overkill when you have a small full range driver driven by a handful of watts.

New drivers have arrived. Just a note of warning that the 7ms are different sizes to the 7.3 and I believe use the Pluvia sized frame. Also as these now have a nice little M badge embossed into the frame, the clocking of the pilots for drivers make a difference with the first screw of 5 needing to start at 12 O'clock.

Anyone waiting for drivers here in the US may be interested in knowing that I've contacted Madisound for an updated ETA and was met with this reply.

"They are still transitioning from lab building to production building.
They said it would be awhile longer."

I think it's safe to assume we won't be seeing these until the first quarter of 2019 or later. Dang.

-Steven

I think they are just saying that to put you off the scent TBH :)

I've ordered my second production batch which will be with me in a few weeks. Japan have sold thousands of them.

Some dealers like to run down older stock and wait to see if a new driver will be a success. Meanwhile I can capitalise as at least half of mine have been sold to US customers :)