New Linkwitz "LXmini" speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I apologize if I upset anyone and appreciate the answer. It was the, " its just a hobby", "if there is no right way", and all the technical stuff that is way beyond me, that caused my response.

Also, I don't think of my building a system as a hobby. I just want to listen to music that has some semblance to reality. The "magical" and "reference quality" description of the lxminis and low price caught my attention.

However, think I''ll be happy with my new Neurochrome amps, existing source components, preamps and speakers. I have built outboard passive xovers for two pairs of speakers and have one pair to go. I've also made some simple mods to the speakers. My main system sounds better than expected and and if the other system ends up sounding as good I'll be done.

Thank,
henrylrjr

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Well, you asked about a (possible) passive version of a highly optimized active speaker. The explanations are going to get "into technical stuff" no matter how you look at it. :)

But, you did ask the question which means you have an interest in the LXmini concept...at the very least.

SL has labeled these "reference speakers." Some might consider that hyperbole, but you could decide for yourself. I would suggest to audition a pair sometime and see what you think. It's possible you might find yourself dissatisfied with your existing speakers after said audition. :)

FYI: One of our members has just constructed an amplifier nearly identical to yours and is using them with his LXmini speakers.

ORION/PLUTO/LX... Users Group • View topic - LXmini Amplifier

Cheers,

Dave.

My system is a Merdian 506.20 CPD, Aragon 18K MKII preamp and Modulus86 two channel stereo amp. Speakers are, modified by me, Sound Dynamics 300Ti.

While I did build the Modulus86, it was basically getting a chassis and installing the already built PCBs, heat sinks, connectors and wiring. No technical knowledge required on my part.

Given my system, and that I also have a good McCormack Deluxe Edition DNA0.5 two channel amp not in use, do I only need a minidsp and the lxmini speakers? If so where does the minidsp go... between the CDP and preamp? Or, do I need two preamps?

Thanks,
henrylrjr

The MiniDSP goes between the preamp and the two stereo power amps you need. Ideal would be to build another Modulus 86. However, you might be able to use the Modulus on the full range units and the McCormack on the bass units if the input sensitivities of the two different power amps are reasonably close. Assuming that, you will have to adjust the relative gain between the two amps using the MiniDSP- easy to do via the software.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's the package deal at Madisound, which includes the miniDSP
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/lxmini-linkwitz-lab-speaker-kit-pair/

Since you're a kit kind of guy it seems, the cut wood addition is $110 more. I love making wood stuff, but I'd find it hard to resist, it includes some hardware and it's basically all cut out!. OTOH Since you're a machinist, it would be hard to argue against machining the top plate and the riser for the tweeter tube out of aluminum! I very much doubt it would resonate, especially with the driver mounted in it and being glued in place, and being quite thick would be quite rigid. Could well be an upgrade...and you could show off your chops.

PS
You (or your tablet or whatever) wrote: "My system is a Merdian 506.20 CPD..."
Of course you meant Meridian but Merdian is pretty funny from a frenchy point of view! I may label an amp that someday on the front panel!

Last edited:
I know nothing about electronics

The input sensitivity of the '0.5 appears to be 850mV or 0.850V, input sensitivity of the current version of the '86 is much lower: 1.77V. Perhaps Davey could comment on whether this disparity can be accommodated- it's a big difference.

Man am I dumb. I would have thought 0.850V, being a smaller number than 1.77V, would have been the lower value. No need to try to explain it to me. I'm sure I won't understand. I'm also building a Parallel86 and will check it's input sensitivity. FWIW I was thinking of using the Mod86 for the full range driver and the McCormack for the woofer. I also have an Aragon 8008BB and an Adcom GFA 4500 that could be used.

I believe the Meridian goes from D to A. If the minidsp is between the preamp and amps it seems it might be an A to D to A converter. Is that correct?

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Or you could fill the void between the PVC and cardboard with 2 part expanding foam, could be messy, so do it before you add the parts. should make if very stiff!, but not heavy..

I see no problem with that at all since you haven't increased the baffle size of the woofer driver. Personally, I would fill the space between PVC and cardboard with play-sand vice an acoustic filling.

Dave.

It's really simple Henry- honest! The input sensitivity is just the number of volts you need to feed the power amp from the preamp to get its full output. If it's a lower number you need fewer volts out of the preamp or, in this case, the MiniDSP crossover.

There isn't an industry standard for hi-fi preamp maximum output levels or power amp input sensitivity, so not all preamps or crossovers will drive all power amps to their full output. There are other potential consequences for your application, but I can already see your eyes glazing over... ;o)

Last edited:
They are glazing over, but I think your explanation may be a big help if I understand it. Below is my simple interpretation. Am I getting close?

An amp with a sensitivity of 0.85V will play louder than an amp with a sensitivity of 1.25V if the preamp only has one volume control for it's outputs. Does amp impedance also come into to play?

If this is correct how close does sensitivity of both amps have to be so only one volume control is needed?

Also, I read a post that someone is planning to use a Parallel86 for the woofers and Modulus86 for the full range driver. The Mod86 sensitivity is 1.75V and the Par86 is 2.25V. Will this difference work with one volume control?

Or, is this where a minidsp comes into play because it has some programming or settings capabilities to compensate?

Thanks,
henrylrjr

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Sensitivity is not the meaningful specification here....voltage gain is. To calculate voltage gain from a sensitivity specification you'd need to know the rated output power AND know that it was correct. It's much preferable to find the voltage specification from the manufacturer or, better yet, actually measure the gain of the amplifiers directly.

Looking at the data sheets, your McCormack amplifier has voltage gain of 30db, your Modulus amp has voltage gain of 20db. Thus, you have a 10db discrepancy. You can probably accommodate that with settings of the miniDSP.

Dave.

lxmini amp selection

Of the amps, listed below, would any one be better to use with either the Mod86 or Par86? I ask because I don't want to change speakers in the system with my Mod86. However, I might replace the Mod86 with the Par86 in that system if the mod86 would work better with any of my other amps.

I was planning to use the Par86 in another system, then read about the lxminis. I was considering replacing the speakers with the lxminis, and then learned they require an amp for the the woofers and another amp for the full range drivers. I was hoping one of my other amps would work.

Here are the other amps. I probably didn't need to include the Neurochrome amps but all are in one file I have.

Adcom GFA5400 Input Sensitivity @ 125W : 1.125V, GAIN 29dB

Aragon 8008BB Input Sensitivity 120 mV @ 1 watt output, 1.68V @ full output GAIN 28dB

McCormack Deluxe Edition DNA 0.5 Input sensitivity: 0.85V, GAIN 30dB

Modulus86 Gain 20dB @ 1kHz Input Sensitivity 1.75 V RMS @ 1kHz

Parallel86 Gain 20dB @ 1kHz Input Sensitivity 2.25 V RMS @ 1kHz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.