New Linkwitz "LX521" speakers..

Speakers with a subtle appearance will image better as well because they are less distracting.
I notice this with my desktop dipoles. Although they image amazingly...like a studio monitor, I know sound is coming from them, because they are so funky looking.

20121216_155703_zps1404fcbd.jpg

20121216_155831_zps971367e3.jpg

Sad but often true. This is as stupid as picking a wine by (a nice) label.

..well, it's only sad if you pick something decidedly inferior based on fashion.

Often it's less about an inferior pick, (or at least one that is substantially inferior), and more about just paying more for something that is at least the equal of the less aesthetically pleasing product.

For some it's an "identity" thing, particularly with respect to labels. While perhaps a sexist view, I've found that women seem to attach greater "value" to "identity" fashion.

Even within our DIY context - several "gravitate" toward Scan Speak as a name rather than simply the overall quality of that particular driver. It's not an absurd notion however that a more expensive product (like from Scan Speak) will tend to provide better quality. So for those that purchase more expensive wines based on the label - for the non-oenophile it could largely be a method to improve their odds at getting a better wine, rather than "identity".

Last edited:
What I mean with sad is that people pick by the looks of something because they do not understand the underlying technical relations. And that is primarily unreleated to the price, although it is certainly another variable/decision contributor for those, who can afford it. As a result, people, who want to sell their garbage, add a certain price tag to it to suggest "quality".

Even within our DIY context - several "gravitate" toward Scan Speak as a name rather than simply the overall quality of that particular driver. It's not an absurd notion however that a more expensive product (like from Scan Speak) will tend to provide better quality. So for those that purchase more expensive wines based on the label - for the non-oenophile it could largely be a method to improve their odds at getting a better wine, rather than "identity".
It is certainly one way of learning (to pay the dues). I for my part pick drivers based on "shift" and concept. So sometimes it is a ScanSpeak and other times it'll be a Seas or Vifa or whatever. And the same goes for wines. You have to have your share of experience.
Once you are able to "see through the product" (because you understand it) the price becomes secondary or at least a variable in favor of the goal/capability.
But I guess we're saying the same thing ;)

well...

Back to my premise -- the LX521 is a better loudspeaker than the ORION/PLUTO/PHEONIX -- it leaves these systems in “the dust”.

The thing that haven't really worked for me with the Orions (not that other speakers satisfied me in that respect, very far from it!!) are the horns, on loud symphonic crescendos, like Bruckner's apotheotic finales conducted by Celi.

You review, on top of others is making me really think now.. :)

thanks!

PS: also a "fan" of Thoreau..

Last edited:
It's well documented that people are substantially more affected by looks than anything else. Hardcore audiophiles will also be very affected by the "feel" of the sound. Room acoustics and tone control adjustment will affect that more than the difference between most speakers.
The dispersion/directivity/etc. of the speakers determines the result of any given "room acoustics", and that varies tremendously between speakers. The usability and effectiveness of EQ also varies widely. I agree that appearances matter, and I agree that rooms matter a great deal, but I think your conclusion contradicts itself.