New Laser install into Sony CDP-991

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My trusty old Sony CDP-991 is starting to skip too much, so I think its time for a new laser pickup, ie the KSS-240a.

I would appreciate any hints on how to replace this laser mechanism. I have some experience in electronics, but I do not have an oscilloscope. Is one needed? Is any adjustment of the three trimpots required after install? What is the function of the three trimpots? Interestingly I have improved the performance of the existing pickup by adjusting the trimpots somewhat randmomly without really knowing what they do.

Any help much appreciated. I can get a new laser quite cheaply, so would love to complete this refurb asap.

are you VERY sure it's the laser?
skipping can also be a sign that the spindle motor is failing.
i don't have experience with the sony cdp-991 though.
back to your original question, i would not suspect a laser replacement to be a "drop it in and go" repair. some calibration and adjustments would be needed to do it "right", along with special test disc$$$.

mlloyd1

mlloyd1

I know this is a very old thread, but anyway...

You can see pictures of my laser change in a CDP-991 here: http://www.faktiskt.se/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7243

The text really doesn't say anything, so I won't translate it. The change is pretty simple. I did no calibration whatsoever, maybe I should. Sounds the way it's supposed to, and it stopped skipping.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Nice set of pictures showing how to change the pickup. Many seem to struggle with that part of the procedure.

Alignment is straightforward (and the KSS240 is essentially plug and play anyway) but you do need a scope. I covered alignment here together with a couple of video files showing the effect on the scope for some of the critical procedures,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/226288-sony-cdp790-kss240-restoration-project.html

Nice player by the way, these oldies are worth saving :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.