New kits from 41hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So it seems this technology is the way forward.
Its nice that something sounds as good as the hype for a change;)
I'm going to try some more modifications to the Amp3 first (some sort of discrete buffer or pre-amp) and then I may move on to the UCD modules.
Big thanks to Nuuk for supplying me the SMPS and everybody else for the advice etc!

BTW the GC's are still super sounding little amps if time and effort are spent on them and I enjoyed building it up

Leo

Re: opinion

sx881663 said:
Daniel,
The only guarantee I can give about my opinion is that it, indeed, will be serious. :D The UcD technology is a closed loop design that includes the output filter. As most really good designs seem to do it tests very well in addition to sounding excellent. It has far less load dependency problems and don’t seem to mind complex crossovers or impedance nastiness. After some simple upgrades the sound is state of the art. It has all the magic of the Amp3 only more so. It has far more authority, neutrality and just plain hear through quality. Being an all discreet design also means less grain and grunge so is more in focus with a deeper sound stage. I love it and whole heartedly recommend it!
Bruno has done a truly exceptional piece of work here, bringing musical enjoyment back into Hi Fi.
Roger

Thanks for your answer !

My budget is on the low side right now and for this reason I'll first buy a kit from 41Hz or autoconstruire. But, when my budget will allow, I'll try the UcD400. The delay will give me the time to read about it and see what I need as transfo & PSU as well as the simple upgrades to do.

Thanks again !

41hz Amp6 transformer?

Hi guys,
I'm fairly new to building Amps, can someone point me towards a good transformer for the AMP6 and AMP4. I would like something that works with the least amount of hassle.

Also, I would like to build the whole amplifier into a PC chassi, as I want to use the PC as an integrated Media Server, is this a bad idea?

Re: Re: opinion

kanaddict said:

Thanks for your answer !

My budget is on the low side right now and for this reason I'll first buy a kit from 41Hz or autoconstruire. But, when my budget will allow, I'll try the UcD400. The delay will give me the time to read about it and see what I need as transfo & PSU as well as the simple upgrades to do.

Thanks again !

Daniel,
A really cheap and quick way to experience the UcD modules is to gut out an old amp or integrated amp with about the same power you want and install the modules. This will give you all the power supply components and stuff. After you complete it check for ripple voltage on the power supply caps as one or more may be weak. If one is, replace them all with upgrades, actually this is not a bad idea anyway.
Roger
Sorry this took so long, it got lost in the shuffle.

Re: Re: Re: opinion

sx881663 said:

Daniel,
A really cheap and quick way to experience the UcD modules is to gut out an old amp or integrated amp with about the same power you want and install the modules. This will give you all the power supply components and stuff. After you complete it check for ripple voltage on the power supply caps as one or more may be weak. If one is, replace them all with upgrades, actually this is not a bad idea anyway.
Roger
Sorry this took so long, it got lost in the shuffle.

Thanks Roger !

I already have the autocostruire kit and I'm upgrading the cap. So far, it's a very good amp for the price. The UcD module will have to wait a few month....there is always a project waiting to be done ;)
This is the part of my hobby that give hard time to my wife :D

Regards,

I'm fairly new to building Amps, can someone point me towards a good transformer for the AMP6 and AMP4. I would like something that works with the least amount of hassle.

I'm not sure what the PSU requirement is for the AMP4 but the AMP6 will work very well with an SMPS. I have found the SMPS to be the best PSU that I have tried with the class-T amps.

You can see the sort that I am talking about here . ;)

Originally posted by Nuuk I'm not sure what the PSU requirement is for the AMP4 but the AMP6 will work very well with an SMPS. I have found the SMPS to be the best PSU that I have tried with the class-T amps.

The Amp 4 should be available in about two weeks with a guesstimated price of $60.00 . . . .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
:)

Anyone notice that the amp4 is now shipping?? That looks like a sweet amp to me. The chip specs look really good, comparable to the UCD180 in their data sheets if you look at usable wattage. Price looks so sweet too. Is it better to use a toaster oven for the SMT work? Looks like I'm going to have to learn soon.

I'm also interested in the benefits of aircore torodial modifications.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.