New HT subwoofer. Dayton Ref 18"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

On the manufacturer page you can find a helpful drawing. In that drawing the top plate is 10mm and the distance to the backplate is 50mm. With the given Xmax of 12.75 mm this suggests a VC height of 35.5mm. From there you can calculate the Xlim:
50mm (backplate distance) minus 17.75mm (1/2 VC height) = 32.25mm (one way).

Xlim = 32.25 mm

About the Xvar, you would have to measure it. You can make a theoretical indication about its physical capabilities but that doesn't say anything about its linear behaviour.
But at the best this driver could have a usable excursion of about: (Hvc – Hg) / 2 + 1/2Hg = 17.75 mm. But with a Cms of only 0.15 mm/N, a Mms of 429.9 gram and a BL of 20.4 Tm that looks a little optimistic.

Dayton_RSS460HO-4_01.jpg

(edit: with usable excursion I mean excursion that transfers into real dB's)

Last edited:
Well Europe Audio stocks the other subs from this line, I guess it's only a matter of time until they stock it. If you're in a rush it might be worth asking when/(if) they will get it in stock. The value isn't quite as high as if from PE though.

RE the xmax, the same overall motor parts are used across the entire range, so they all have the same figures. Still it's one heck of a sub for the money.

Jep, that is in line with Josh his findings. Must say it's a heck of a Home Theatre driver for just 250$. Hopefully it will find its way to Europe soon.

Yep. Pretty close indeed. Really for $250 I think this is a hell of a bargain. Triple shorting rings in the motor plus the seemingly good linearity of the suspension components should result in low distortion. We will see. I have listened to it in a sealed enclosure for a while and I heard nothing to complain about, quite the opposite really.

Did I mention that this thing also looks very nice? No fugly graphics or gaudy logos. Mounted in an enclosure it looks great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.