New heatsinks for my upcoming Aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I finished the gainclone and I'm loving it. So, I decided to take on another project, and although my wallet disagreed, I decided for an Aleph 5. I'm sure I won't be dissapointed.

I picked up 4 of these heatsinks:

Attachments

• heatsink1.jpg
    heatsink1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 929
The dimensions are 13.25"x7.375"x1.25", and they're slightly over 4lb each (there's still some available on ebay). They were $15 each plus shipping.

I'm thinking of doing 2 on each side. I got quoted some $80 for the needed aluminum panels ($80 canadian) from a local supplier, and another $20-$30 for the angled pieces. All in all it should be a $200 case made out of 1/4" aluminum. :)

As far as the other components go, I gotta save money before buying ANYTHING else! Including the aluminum.

I estimated the rating of the heatsinks to be about 0.25 C/W, giving me more than enough for an aleph. If anyone has corrections to that, or a better figure (or worse, but more correct) please let me know so I can figure somethin out.

lol@the great white north comment :p

The ambient temperature in the house should never go past 25, even during HOT summer days. In winter it shouldn't drop past 18-20, even during the coldest of the days (-35 to -40). Its not THAT cold up here! *cough*during the summer*cough*

i wouldn't risk it for one per channel though.

One question I have however is how to mount the FET's. Should I go for 3 directly mounted to center of each heatsink? That should distribute the temperature pretty evenly (2 heatsinks will compose one side, two the other). Or should I use a piece of aluminum, mount them all to that piece, and then bolt the piece to the heatsink.

Somehow I see the first way being more cooling-efficient, while the second might have a more even temperature, although that's debatable.

Also, if I mount them directly to the heatsink, should I strip off the anodizing (somehow .. how?) where they'll be mounted?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
elizard,

The first question is what board are you using? If the solder points for the FET's are separate from the board then I would go with 3 horizontally in the center of each heatsink.

You don't have to worry about the black anodizing. It has very little effect on the heat transfer.

Peter is quicker on the draw.

I will be using kristijan's boards. I was thinking of 2 ways i could do it, one being directly to the heatsinks, and then run wires back to the boards (easier on cooling, worse on sound i'm sure). Second is to mount the heatsinks on an aluminum angle thing, whatever its called (the L shaped thing).

I'm also considering using 2 pieces of aluminum, and sandwiching the fet's between the 2 pieces, that a good method? Or should I go for clip? Or (the dreaded, i suck at this) screw down method?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
elizard said:
I will be using kristijan's boards. I was thinking of 2 ways i could do it, one being directly to the heatsinks, and then run wires back to the boards (easier on cooling, worse on sound i'm sure).
Here's an example of this method from the PassDIY Gallery
http://passdiy.com/images/aleph gallery/a5-p5-f5.jpg
Does the board look familiar? This is only one channel so 3/2 requires a heat spreader for the two heatsinks.

roddyama said:

Here's an example of this method from the PassDIY Gallery
http://passdiy.com/images/aleph gallery/a5-p5-f5.jpg
Does the board look familiar? This is only one channel so 3/2 requires a heat spreader for the two heatsinks.

well i'd do it like that if i'm to mount 3 in center of each heatsink, and then run wires back to the PCB .. How does that affect the sound however?
if i can get away with mounting them to the aluminum angle, i'd rather, which i'm pretty sure WOULD be better for mounting
although i'll be hard pressed to find something to attach the boards to, and stop them from hanging in mid-air!

The only thing I can see wrong with pedro's approach is they're mounted at the top. I think If i take his approach, I'll mount the board upside down, so that the fet's end up around the middle ..

remember reading its best to mount them near the center .. i think anyway

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
You may want to have the boards below to keep them out of the heat from the FET's. You have much more height then Pedro does so this shouldn't be too difficult to do while keeping the FET's centered on the heatsinks. You have the option of allowing more space inside the amp to spread things out a little.

I just realized really how small the pcb's are .. If I were to mount them vertically, they only take up like 4" ..
And i have 13" available. The power supply/caps take up maybe 6"at most . The caps you sent me are 4" tall ..
Yeah, there's plenty space.

I should do a rough drawing with the approximations and post it for comments ..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.